Underlining of links as a recent change in Activity Stream widget

kajtzu May 16, 2024

Does anyone use the Activity Stream on Atlassian Cloud? I (we) do and have used it since forever also on JIRA Server in the past.

If you do, did you notice that recently all the links have become underlined? I (we) found it annoying since it makes the text less readable in our opinion.

I asked Atlassian support whether this was an intended change and got eventually the following response. This is, after I had expressed my dissatisfaction with the change and having suggested that at the very least it should be toggleable per user or per instance. None of our employees have eye problems and I think this is a step backward in both usability and readability of the activity stream. In fact, I compared this to how the browser UIs looked in the 1990s, indeed links were underlined in the beginning.

Anyway, Atlassian support's response below:

I hope you are doing good!

I wish to inform you that I have discussed this matter with our product manager, and they have assured me that Atlassian is dedicated to enhancing accessibility in our products. We are committed to adhering to the Worldwide Content Accessibility Guidelines.

One of these guidelines recommends that we need a way to provide cues in addition to colour so that users who may have difficulty perceiving colour differences or have low vision can identify them and this is reason they have implemented this and would like to take it forward.

However, they would still like to understand how adding an underline makes the text unreadable. If you have more context on the issue, please let me know so that we can provide it to the project manager. From their perspective, this is an important feature according to the guidelines.

I understand that this may not be the answer you were hoping for, but from a support perspective, I'm trying to provide as much information as possible. The code-level changes and product updates are handled by the development team, so we don't have much influence on those aspects.

If you have any further queries do let me know and I would be glad to assist you further.

Wishing you a great day ahead!

First, I wonder if the product managers at Atlassian actually use JIRA at all. :)

Second, have you noticed the underlining?

Third, does the underlining annoy you or are you indifferent or do you think it is better?

Fourth, does it annoy you that the activity stream is underlined but the rest of the UI is not?

Fifth, do you think the whole dashboard UI with underlined links would be better or worse than what it currently is?

1 answer

0 votes
Dimpal_Desai
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 16, 2024

Yes It is irritating to read with underlines. Please do the needfull.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events