Unattended Confluence en Jira install / upgrade with response files

Onno van der Straaten August 6, 2019

In the devops age of automation the ability to auto install / auto upgrade is key. Confluence and Jira offer a response file for this purpose. But I recently noticed that more often than not these response files do not work correctly.

Two noteworthy examples are executeLauncherAction$Boolean and backupJira$Boolean

We like to use systemd service.  Unfortunately executeLauncherAction$Boolean does not seem to work. So on upgrade Jira and Confluence will ignore this setting and launch. Subsequently our systemd tries to start and fails because there is an unexpected Jira instance running. So an automated upgrade will default fail.  Extra tinkering / hacking is necessary to get this to work properly.

Another example is backupJira$Boolean. Jira and Confluence will also ignore this setting and perform a backup. When a lot of data is involved this is a showstopper on automating upgrade successfully.

There are tickets for at least some of this issues. My impression is that Atlassian considers the fact that unattended install is not working very well for two important products unimportant. A curious position to have in the devops / automation age.

If you think that automation of upgrades is important, please consider voting for this issues like

This might help trigger an overhaul of the unattended install / upgrade feature and fix the issues and improve documentation.

2 answers

0 votes
Jason Unsworth November 18, 2019

My team has also come across both of these issues (CONFSERVER-35722 and JRASERVER-66019) affecting unattended upgrades using the Confluence and Jira installers.

I've now voted for each of them in the hopes they'll be resolved.

0 votes
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2019

Hi @Onno van der Straaten ,

Or don't use the bin/exe file, just use the tar.gz file and manually add them to the directories you want them to be in.

In that way, you have more freedom on how the settings will be and set up your own service script and the user that controls it.

Suggest an answer