Unable to parse created date

Youmna Chebaro April 13, 2015

I am attempting to import data from a csv file using the import wizard.  I have a field for Date Created and Date Resolved. The excel format is dd/MMM/yy h:mm a and in JIRA the format is setup as dd/MMM/yy h:mm a.

I keep receiving the following error each time I import:

2015-04-10 15:29:14, 990 WARN - Unable to parse created date 31Mar/15 9:00 a

2015-04-10 15:29:14. 990 WARN - Unable to parse created dateStr 31/Mar/15 9:30 a

I have tried several different date formats (made sure the JIRA and excel formats matched) and I get the same parsing error each time.

Any suggestions?

6 answers

1 vote
Jayapriya_K May 27, 2020

I tried the following steps and it's worked for me.

1. Find the date format used in the csv file by opening it in notepad/notepad++. Because the format displayed in csv is "05/26/2020 02:41 PM" but when I opened in notepad the format displayed is 05/26/2020 14:41".
  2. During the setup phase of the import process, just mention this format (mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm) in the Date Format field.
  3. Doing so, imported the date fields properly without any warning.

Note: On seeing the format in csv I used "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm a" in the Date format field during my first import and I got the same warning "Unable to parse date".

0 votes
Maximilian Ruehle February 24, 2021

I had the same problem. The solution is not only the basic format like dd/mm/yyyy has to match but also delimiter.

In my case i had to use dd.mm.yyyy instead of dd/mm/yyyy

Same for the hours and minutes.

0 votes
monica.dhiman December 4, 2019

I am facing the same issue, i have tried multiple formats, any solution to this problem?

0 votes
Sean Sowell September 6, 2019

Anyone ever figure this out - i have tried multiple date formats both in JIRA and in excel - anytime i import it cannot parse the date.  

0 votes
Edward Greathouse March 16, 2018

Did you ever find an solution to this? I'm having the same problem.

0 votes
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2015

Hey Youmna,

Please take a look at the second question of this article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Commonly+Asked+CSV+Questions+and+Known+Issues

Regards,

Arthur Gonçalves

Youmna Chebaro April 13, 2015

Arthur,

I made sure the date from the configuration file matches the date coming from the csv file.

It states that "JIRA system date fields such as Created, Updated, and Due Date use "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" but may need an offset adding.  I tried this format and still received the parsing error.  How do I ad an offset?

See screenshots below on configuration:

date picker.JPG

look and feel.JPG

Suggest an answer