Unable to parse Date, CSV Imports

Madhu Mullangi January 21, 2019

I am getting this error while Importing issues.

Unable to parse date: 11-12-2018

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Hi @Madhu Mullangi,

What is the date format you have set on step 2 in the CSV import process?

To verify see the screenshot for understanding:

Screenshot 2019-01-21 at 3.15.21 PM.png'

Have a try correcting to the right date format and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Ram.

Madhu Mullangi January 22, 2019

Hi Ram,

Please have a look on the attached Image.

I am using dd-MM-yyyy format, And getting this error.date.PNG

Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

Please make sure you are using the same format in both the CSV file and while importing into Jira.

If your CSV file has the format 'dd-MM-yyyy' (i.e with dashes) then make sure you set the format in step 2 as 'dd-MM-yyyy'.

I hope i am using the same format. If not please correct me.

Thanks in Advanceformat.PNG

Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2019

The format looks good in the CSV file. Please check the format while CSV importing in step 2. Set like 'dd-MM-yyyy'

Yes date.PNG

I am using the same format, Still having the same error 

Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2019

The attached screenshot referring you are using a different format in step 2.

Try like here as your csv has the same format:

Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 5.51.15 PM.png

Changed the format according to your Screenshot, Still facing the same Issue

Masarla Venkateswarlu Reddy September 19, 2020

Change the format to d-m-yyyy (12-11-2018) instead of dd-MM-yyyy.

Follow the pattern as given examples

If date format is 2-1-2020 use d-m-yyyy 

else if 2-01-2020 use d-mm-yyyy

else 02-01-2020 use dd-mm-yyyy

Like # people like this
eyepax_MenakaS October 7, 2020

@Masarla Venkateswarlu Reddy thanks, saved my day

2 votes
Mark Mulik May 4, 2023

Jira_DateImport.png

I kept struggling with this problem and these answers and have another idea for the group. 

By changing the source format to be as indicated in the CSV file (bubble #1) and then changing the Date format in the External System Import setup page to be as indicated in bubble #2, I was able to successfully import a Due Date. Due Date doesn't appear to care about the time value, but the import file will be rejected without it. The key to making this Date format here work that the characters in the format are case sensitive! A thorough review of the article referenced on that page (SimpleDateFormat (Java 2 Platform SE 5.0) (oracle.com)) makes clear that the uppercase H for hours stands for hours in military time. 

In Excel, be sure to format the text of the cell to be "Text" so that Excel doesn't, um, "helpfully" change the format after you key it in just the way you want it. 

1 vote
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2022

What if some fields are date only and others are date and time?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2023

The answer is to modify the date-only values, so they have dummy time values, set the date format as date and time, and Import the date values into date fields where the dummy time values will be ignored.

Suggest an answer