Unable to migrate data from standalone jira server to either cloud or another standalone server

Eric Johansson December 16, 2017

I'm afraid I'm circling the drain on this one. I'm hoping that in describing this, someone will point out the obvious thing I've missed.

Start with an old 6.5?? Standalone JIRA server. I upgraded to the latest 7.61 and everything works fine on the original set of data and upgraded instance. 

Next step was I created an AWS instance of Ubuntu 16.04 and created the database according to the documentation (confluence database setup https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-setup-for-mysql-128747.html,  Jira db setup https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-802592179.html

I ran the installer atlassian-jira-software-7.6.1-x64.bin and it seemed to install okay. I installed mysql-connector-java-5.1.45-bin.jar before starting up JIRA.

I started up JIRA and went through the initial configuration. I've tried two different paths of importing my dataset and both fail. The early import seems to complete without any errors but I can't login. My administrative account does not respond to either the password I set it to in the initial configuration or the password that is theoretically stored in the database.

If I  configure the JIRA environment by itself, it works fine I can create projects but when I go to import my old data set from the administrative panel, it gives me some error about missing object types. Unfortunately I didn't capture the error  and I'm too tired to go and create it yet again.

My next thought was that maybe I'm doing something  wrong in the install. What if I use a "known good" instance of JIRA in the cloud. I create a freebie account try to import my data and this time I can login, I can see other users but all of my projects kanban boards everything is gone.

I am out of ideas. I've been fighting with this for way too long and I've gone through a number of official and unofficial bits of documentation and nothing works. I'm clearly missing something but I can't see it anymore. Any ideas on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

--- eric

2 answers

0 votes
Emily Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hi @Eric Johansson and Community!

We've just built the beta of a solution to help ease migrations from Server/Data-Center-on-prem to Data-Center-on-AWS-Quickstarts.

Would you be interested to join our beta program and try out this solution? If you're interested, or would like to find out more, please email me at echan@atlassian.com. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2017

On the "missing password" problem - you were entering user credentials from the system you were restoring from right?  The system import brings in the old user accounts, overwriting the ones you set during install/config of a bare system.

There's not a lot we can do without knowing what the "missing object types" being reported is.

Eric Johansson December 17, 2017

thanks for the reply. 

Yes, I did use the password/credentials that I use to log into the original system. When I imported the same database to the cloud-based JIRA, I was able to login with those credentials. The new server instance would not let me login.

So I'm left with cloud-based JIRA, can login but none of my data is visible, server-based JIRA, import seems to work okay, I can see data in the database but I can't login.

What tables in the database would contain these credentials? Is anything the log that might give me a clue to a database problem?

Suggest an answer