Unable to edit issues in a Project

Bryan Collick May 30, 2017

I'm doing several bulk actions across our JIRA instance in an effort to improve organization and standardized behavior. I lot of my use of the bulk action tool is complicated by being unable to edit certain issues. The bulk action tool will not allow you to edit if you do not have permission to edit one or more of the issues within the selection. 

To identify what issues I didn't have access to, I completed a bulk action one "current page" at a time, until the tool would not allow me to edit. This helped me to realize that only issues from project "Foo" were causing this issue. 

In project Foo, jira-administrator is a part of the project administator role. Some functions (like edit) had been restricted to the developer role, so I added both jira-administrator and my own name to the developer role. When I look at an issue and open the permission helper, it checks out and says I should be able to edit. However, I cannot. 

What am I missing here? I'm going to do a background re-index, but after that I'm out of ideas. 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

Can you check the "workflow properties" on the status the issues are in?  You'll have to draft  the workflow (but you can just stop and not publish the draft) to get to it.  I suspect you'll find it's got "jira.issue.editable = false" on it.

Bryan Collick June 13, 2017

That seems to be it. Thanks!

Ricky Lin April 2, 2018

I'm having a similar issue in one of my Statuses.  However, I've checked the workflow step properties of that status and there's nothing on it... It's the JIRA Default "In Progress", which I find it to be weird that I cannot Edit or Assign.

What else could be the cause of this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2018

Have you checked the baseline permissions too?  Also, how does this manifest?  No buttons, or nothing happens when you click?  Is it just that one status in the flow? Can other people edit or assign while in that status?

Ricky Lin April 2, 2018

Hi Nic.

Thanks for the reply.. 

Baseline permission is fine.  Majority of our users are in Jira-users or Jira-developers (coming from JIRA 6.x) and that project is running on default.  I've tried looking at it from a normal user and JIRA Admin perspective and Permission Checkers check out (Assignable User and Assign Issue).  There are 2 transitions that go into In Progress and neither have any Post Functions.  No other people can edit or assign while in that status.

The ticket becomes Uneditable when it's sitting in the In Progress Status, and can only be transitioned out to the next Status.  

I also exported out the XML and don't see anything weird.  Tried adding Jira.issue.editable = True to it and doesn't do anything..  Thoughts?

Ricky Lin April 4, 2018

In case anyone is wondering, I find this to absolutely not be making any sense.

I tried transitioning into In Progress from different Statuses and can confirm that the issue is likely with the "In Progress" Status itself as that's where the ticket becomes uneditable (but we can transition out). 

How else could you set the restrictions apart from the Workflow Step Properties (which didn't have anything before)?  My screenshot shows my attempt to make it editable, but leaving it blank should do the same?

DTWorkflow.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2018

This absolutely screams "workflow property".  You should not have any at all.

how does this manifest?  No buttons, or nothing happens when you click?  Is it just that one status in the flow?

Ricky Lin April 5, 2018

Hi Nic - it's absolutely strange to me.  This manifests when sitting in "In Progress" status and "Edit" and "Assign" buttons vanish.  Doesn't matter if I'm the Assignee, Reporter, or JIRA Admin. 

What else could be wrong when the only place that controls this behavior (Workflow Step Properties) doesn't seem to be off at all??

TEST.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2018

This is workflow properties, or javascript hacks that remove the buttons.  Or an add-on that removes the buttons.  There's no other way to do this.

Suggest an answer