Unable to assign user Project Roles

Vanessa July 31, 2013

JIRA Newbie: Be gentle.

I am the JIRA administrator and I have 9 users all assigned to a new project and they have various roles. However, 1 user is unable to perform any tasks in JIRA and although under 'User Management' he has a 'Developer' and a 'User' role when I go to 'View Project Roles for User' it has a message stating 'There are currently no project role associations for this user'. I then select the 'Edit Project Roles' and the page displays the message,

This screen allows you to add/remove a user from a project role by ticking/unticking the checkboxes.

Note: A group name (shown in parentheses) indicates that the group is a member of the project role, and the user is a member of the group; so the user is an indirect member of the project role.

There are currently no project role associations for this user.

However, this page does not display any tick boxes which it does for all the other users.

Any suggestions?

Thankyou

<form class="aui" action="EditUserProjectRoles.jspa" method="post" name="edituserprojectroles">

</form>

9 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2013
It sounds like you are confusing groups with project roles. The User Manager page shows you what groups the user account is part of. Those groups may be added to project roles to give everyone in that group a project role, but the groups themselves are not project roles. The link you click from the user manager page to see the user's roles only lets you view the roles. As @rambanam mentioned, use the project role admin feature in each project (in our JIRA 5.1 instance, it is the People tab in the project admin page) to grant the user the necessary project roles.
0 votes
Vanessa August 18, 2013

Apologies, I have been on leave. I have now sorted the issue: User Management>select the username you are after>select view project roles>select 'roles' from the left hand nav>select 'view usage'>select 'view'>select edit and then add your user.

However, I have done this on several occasions, but it has now worked!

Thankyou for all your suggestions and help.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2013

Have you checked if the user or the project role have 'Browse Project' permission?

0 votes
Vanessa August 1, 2013

I have just logged on as the user I am having issues with. There are 2 issues assigned to him and I have selected 'My Open Issues' and I have two new messages:

• Field 'assignee' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.
  • Field 'resolution' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

0 votes
Vanessa August 1, 2013

Thanks Nic, I have checked the other users and there are no differences apart from there is no option to select Project Roles through User Management for this user and he has no drop downs when you log into his account. So frustrating and I bet is is something really simple!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2013

Sorry, I was asking specifically about groups and roles, not what the admins can do with the user.

"Field X does not exist or you do not have permission to view it" usually means the user has no rights to see the issue! What happens when you log in as them and visit a specific issue (that you can see with your account)?

0 votes
Vanessa July 31, 2013

I have granted the project roles to the user and each area I can see he has those roles. I updated them as advised by rambanam and this did not make any difference when the user logged in. Nic, I have deleted the user and set him up twice, I have checked his login details and he is logging into the correct account. I do not see a Permissions Helper tool in the More Actions dropdown, I will have another look and update you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2013

Ok, it was worth ruling out.

Next thing to do - find another user who can log in and see stuff ok, then compare their groups and roles. Are there ANY differences in either groups or roles?

(Also, long shot - can they try logging in from your machine where you know it works for you?)

0 votes
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2013
Do you see the Permissions Helper tool in the More Actions dropdown when viewing an issue in this project? If so, you can use that to find out what permissions jira thinks the user has in the Project. It will tell you what group or role he needs to be in if this is simply a permissions problem.
0 votes
Vanessa July 31, 2013

Project role from the project administration page did let me add the relevant project roles to the user. However, when the user logs in he only has 'Dashboards' along the top tool bar. It also states there are no issues assigned to him even though two have been assigned to him and display that they are assigned to him.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2013

Can you check the exact login details for the user? I've run into similar problems where we've got two similar accounts - nothing looks wrong with account 1, but it turns out the user is logging into account 2, which is subtly different and in the wrong roles.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2013
you can add to project role from project administration page, got to the project administration page and select project role, there you can add him to which ever you want to add

Suggest an answer