Ugrade database only?

Scott Spittler September 10, 2013

Hello,

Due to a recent database failure, we have had to restore our Jira database (SQL Server 2008). The latest backup that we could find seems to have been from build 846, which I believe corresponds to Jira 5.2.4.1.

Our Jira install is at version 6.0.1 (Windows 2008 R2) so our database is a lot older than the install is. We realize that we're not going to get the data back that was lost, but is there a way to run the database schema update scripts to get the database version back in synch with the server version? Or is the best approach to roll back the server till it matches the database, then re-run the updater?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2013

Hi Scott,

If you point your Jira 6.x instance at a database that contains JIRA 5.2.x data then the instance will run upgrade tasks on the database and upgrade the data for you to make it compatible with your current version of JIRA. Of course you should do this in a test environment first, but if you follow the instructions in this document this should give you all the pointers you need to do this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA+with+a+Fallback+Method

The important thing is that you try it with a copy of your data first, and take regular backups, so I'd like to suggest that once you get this fixed that you consider implementing a proper production backup strategy, as described in this document, (for Confluence but the exact same applies to JIRA): https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Production+Backup+Strategy

All the best,
John

Scott Spittler September 10, 2013

Thanks John, I'll check it out and step through it.

As for the backup strategy, we have good backups of the instance, but need to take a good look at our database strategy. Obviously.

Suggest an answer