URL Aliasing in JIRA?

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2014

Hi,

How to have URL aliasing in JIRA or is it even possible?

For example ScrumBoard has a URL - https://myjira.com/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=239

instead I would like it to be --> https://myjira.com/secure/MyProjectScrumBoard

Thanks,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2014

No, there's nothing in Jira to do that. It's not really particularly useful

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2014

I think in large teams specially distribued it can be pretty useful.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2014

I'm not quite sure how - if you need to see rapid board 239, then you want a url to rapid board 239 - myprojectscrumboard could be anything, and worse, meaningless to anyone who isn't working on exactly the same thing as you.

Urls need to be distinct for what they're for, and you'd need to think through exactly how you handle multiple boards and views before you can begin to define a useful scheme for generating them. Ok, so being able to name a board and use that name in a url might be a slight improvement, but you've still got the problem that everyone is simply going to choose "my scrum board" as a name and then post that, so you need a way to make it unique again, and I don't think /secure/<persons login id>/<name of board> is really any more friendly than /rapidboard-239

Horst Krause June 23, 2014

I found this question because we are searching for prettier URLs to.

Currently the board URLs of our projects are

.../secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=111

.../secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=112

.../secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=113

and so on...

Well, do you think everyone knows which projects board had ID 111 and which 112? Most users won't know, so this links are quite meaningless.

When JIRA offers the possibility to give each board a name, why don't use this name in the URL?

.../secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=AngryNerds

.../secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=HappyBirds

and so on...

would be quite more readable.

So is there any possibilty to get this kind of urls from JIRA?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2014

No, the situation has not changed. You need a unique url, Jira doesn't have a way to do that yet.

I don't know if there's an improvement request to allow aliases (I think the most simple solution is to keep the current ID system, but have Jira recognise the full name of the board and redirect you when you land on it). Have a look at jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS

Suggest an answer