Two teams working on the same project should not see the others sprints

Tobias Dobberphul April 18, 2023

Hi all,

I have two teams working on the same project. They have both an own scrumboard (company-managed). But they share the same product backlog obviously.

For with standard (filter-) settings they see the sprints of the other team as well.

I would like that they only see the sprints created in their board.

Is there a best practise to do that?

My only idea is to have a custom field "team" (with options "a" and "b") and an automation that sets this field when moving an issue to a sprint or unsets it when moving out of a sprint to the backlog. - Is this possible AND is there a better way to solve it?

Many thanks,

Tobias

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Tobias Dobberphul and welcome to the Community!

Boards are fundamentally views that are layered on top of the issues that you have in a project. With a board comes a set of additional features, like the ability to plan sprints, see reports, etc.

Filters (JQL) determine which issues appear on a board. And as soon as you create multiple boards that share the same data, every sprint assigned to an issue that is returned by the board filter will inevitably appear as a sprint in the board backlog view.

So, if you want to separate the teams' work, you'll need to find a way to allocate work to the separate teams. Splitting the work across multiple projects may be an option (if the backlog is not shared), indicating what team issues are for (e.g. using a team field) may be another (if the backog īs shared across multiple teams). To then separate sprints across boards, you should ensure no issues from team A appear on the board of team B and vice versa (using the board filters).

As sprints are a shared concept across Jira, it is still possible that an issue somehow ends up matching the board filter of another board and - because of that - makes the sprint appear there. To make sure it is clear where the sprint is coming from, it is a good idea to use a naming convention that helps you identify what team / project / board ... a sprint relates to.

Hope this helps!

Tobias Dobberphul April 19, 2023

Hi Walter,

thanks. Then I was on the right track. 
We have a shared backlog. So I will introduce a custom field "team" so that the tickets are only shown in the appropriate board.

Question:
Afterwards comes the automation if this is possible. Moving a ticket to a sprint hopefully it is possible to set this custom field. But if sprints are shared the automation doesnt know about which team to set, right? So this is not possible to automate?

Tobias Dobberphul April 19, 2023

But I think that the sprints are completly not belonging to a board isn't correct.

Because if a sprint is empty it is shown in the board where it was created. So there must be a link to this board somewhere.

Perhaps then it is possible to automate this: 

- when an issue is moved to a sprint set the "team" of this issue to a value that is corresponding to the boards name where the sprint is settled.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events