Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

Next challenges

Recent achievements

  • Global
  • Personal


  • Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given


  • Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Two dimensional filters

I have what I think is an issue with two dimensional filters.


The total count for the rows (counting left to right) seem to accurately reflect the total.

However, the count for each column (top to bottom) does not add up to the correct total count.

Have I found a problem with the filter or is this how it's supposed to work?

See my screenshot below.

Thanks,MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová Community Leader Jan 13, 2020

Hi @Lorenzo Ferguson ,

it't not a bug, it's a feature :-). This is how it should work - numbers in the last column/row don't represent the total count, but how many issues have the attribute set.

I would recommend you to click on all the numbers - it will show you the JQL, which is used to count the number.

If I take the last row and the second column - number 1 - it means how many issues have the Severity = 0-Blocker (it doesn't matter which components they have). The fifth column then - number 15 - how many issues have the Serverity = 3-Minor.

It seems strange, but basically the numbers are so, because a lot of issues have more than one component.

The numbers for the rows equals to the total count, because all the issues propably have the severity set and it has only one value in each issue.

Hello @Hana Kučerová  ! Thanks for your feedback.  After doing more investigation on this, I confirmed exactly what you said! I was happy to report to my manager and executives that my filter is correctly displaying the information based on the components being used. 

0 votes
Answer accepted

Note the word "unique" in that last row's name.

You have chosen to display a list of issues by Status and Component.  Status is working fine, as you expect and is intuitive, but Component is not necessarily a single value field.  So, an issue can have many components, and that's what this gadget is showing you.

Taking the very first column (as it is a perfect example of the most simple case) - status = 0-blocker, which gives you that column.  You then have

Component: DMCLI : 1
Component: WIFI : 1
Total unique issues : 1

This tells me that you have one single issue with the components DMCLI and WIFI on it.  If you click the 1 on the bottom line, Jira will tell you which issue it is, so you can check that.

Hello @Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ 

Your correct.  I was in the middle of a different task -- when I was asked about this yesterday. So while I researched it myself I also reached out to the community for help. 
I'm happy we all came to the same conclusion.  

Now I just need you guys to fix the issues we've reported with v8.4.1 :-)

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you