Two dimensional filters

Lorenzo Ferguson January 13, 2020

I have what I think is an issue with two dimensional filters.

The total count for the rows (counting left to right) seem to accurately reflect the total.

However, the count for each column (top to bottom) does not add up to the correct total count.

Have I found a problem with the filter or is this how it's supposed to work?

See my screenshot below.

Thanks,MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2020

Hi @Lorenzo Ferguson ,

it't not a bug, it's a feature :-). This is how it should work - numbers in the last column/row don't represent the total count, but how many issues have the attribute set.

I would recommend you to click on all the numbers - it will show you the JQL, which is used to count the number.

If I take the last row and the second column - number 1 - it means how many issues have the Severity = 0-Blocker (it doesn't matter which components they have). The fifth column then - number 15 - how many issues have the Serverity = 3-Minor.

It seems strange, but basically the numbers are so, because a lot of issues have more than one component.

The numbers for the rows equals to the total count, because all the issues propably have the severity set and it has only one value in each issue.

Lorenzo Ferguson January 14, 2020

Hello @Hana Kučerová  ! Thanks for your feedback.  After doing more investigation on this, I confirmed exactly what you said! I was happy to report to my manager and executives that my filter is correctly displaying the information based on the components being used. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

Note the word "unique" in that last row's name.

You have chosen to display a list of issues by Status and Component.  Status is working fine, as you expect and is intuitive, but Component is not necessarily a single value field.  So, an issue can have many components, and that's what this gadget is showing you.

Taking the very first column (as it is a perfect example of the most simple case) - status = 0-blocker, which gives you that column.  You then have

Component: DMCLI : 1
Component: WIFI : 1
Total unique issues : 1

This tells me that you have one single issue with the components DMCLI and WIFI on it.  If you click the 1 on the bottom line, Jira will tell you which issue it is, so you can check that.

Lorenzo Ferguson January 14, 2020

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Your correct.  I was in the middle of a different task -- when I was asked about this yesterday. So while I researched it myself I also reached out to the community for help. 
I'm happy we all came to the same conclusion.  

Now I just need you guys to fix the issues we've reported with v8.4.1 :-)

tejashree avinash aringle June 2, 2021

@Lorenzo Ferguson : I had question, add the same gadget in my project dashboard to  get the label  counts   used in the particular project , i was interested to know what does Total unique issue represent ? Are they issues having multiple label value associated with them or  are these the total count of the table. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2021

I can't explain it better than I did last January - it's the same answer.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- : there you did explain it , but when I check the deatils my clicking on the total unique number count it displays an entire list of the ticket consisiting of single lable, multiple lables and tickets which don't have lables. That's were I have a dout which I need explaination for  - total unique count should only show ticket which consists of multiple lables 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2021

I'm afraid "total unique count should only show ticket which consists of multiple lables" is complete nonsense.

If you click on a link to a search for a label, it should list the issues which have that label.  That's what Jira does

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- : Because if that's the case then it should not display tickets with no labels associated with it for total unique count .

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2021

I'm a bit lost on what you're doing here, sorry.

tejashree avinash aringle June 3, 2021

What does total unique count refer to ?

I am using "Two dimensional filters" to display the count of labels been used in a project, so my question is what will total unique count mean in this case

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

It's the count of issues that the label is applied to, as described above

total unique count.png

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  : You mentioned in the comment  in Jan -

You have chosen to display a list of issues by Status and Component.  Status is working fine, as you expect and is intuitive, but Component is not necessarily a single value field.  So, an issue can have many components, and that's what this gadget is showing you. - "which i agree with"

Taking the very first column (as it is a perfect example of the most simple case) - status = 0-blocker, which gives you that column.  You then have

Component: DMCLI : 1
Component: WIFI : 1
Total unique issues : 1

This tells me that you have one single issue with the components DMCLI and WIFI on it.  If you click the 1 on the bottom line, Jira will tell you which issue it is - "this will be  both DMCLI and WIFI component  been used in single issue ?" if so then it total unique  wont show ticket having No components associated with them correct ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

Ok, I can see we're struggling to grasp it here.

Let's pare it back to the raw data.  Open up your dashboard, find the reported number you are not getting and click on it.

This will take you to a search for the issues the link is reporrting on.  We need to look at the JQL (it tries to explain itself)

That should explain where the number is coming from (except that you're not grasping "unique", but I'll explain that after you can show us the query and a summary of what it returns

0 votes

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- : the query states project= Projectname,

Now i have changed the query to project= porjectname  and lables !=None

Suggest an answer