Two different conditions for allowing access to the same state from two different states

Matteo Napoleoni May 1, 2023

Hi,

I would like to understand if it is possible to have two different conditions to access a state from two different states.
Below is the image of my workflow. As you can see, from the state "IN PROGRESS" I can switch to "IN REVIEW" or "CLOSED", while from the state "IN REVIEW" I can switch to "CLOSED" (or "IN PROGRESS).

I also have a custom field called "Reviewer".

issue_wf_0.png

I would like to set a condition whereby:
If I am in the "IN PROGRESS" state, only the "Assignee" can move the issue to the "IN REVIEW" or "CLOSED" state.
If I am in the "IN REVIEW" state, only the "Reviewer" can move the issue to the "CLOSED" or "IN PROGRESS" state.

issue_wf_2.png

Unfortunately, using for example the condition "User Is In Custom Field" or the condition "Only Assignee Condition" I do not get what I want... Actually the pattern is clear, from either state (IN PROGRESS and IN REVIEW) I can get to the "CLOSED" state... :(

issue_wf_1.png

Is it possible to achieve something like the second picture?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Matteo

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2023

From your diagram, it looks like you are re-using your close transition for both In Review and In Progress statuses. This means that the same condition will be applied.  

If you want to apply different logic - custom field reviewer (when moving from In Review) and assignee (when moving from In Progress) - you need to use two different transitions rather than re-use a single transition. You will need to give the transitions different names.

yessss thank you, it works! I imagined something to do with this! So the names of the transitions are more important than I thought! Thanks again!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

The conditions you mention should be doing what you expect (assuming the custom field is a user-picker)

Can you tell us what options the assignee, reviewer, and someone who is neither see when the issue is in the "in progress" status?  What workflow options do they get offered when viewing the issue?

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Assignee: JIRA Adm
Reviewer: None
Starting state "IN PROGRESS"
The options I see as JIRA Adm are only: "To Do" and "IN REVIEW"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reviewer: JIRA Adm
Starting state "IN PROGRESS"
The options I see as JIRA Adm are: "To Do", "IN REVIEW" and "CLOSED"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reviewer: User_x
Initial state "IN PROGRESS"
The options I see as JIRA Adm are: "To Do" and "IN REVIEW"
The options I see as User_x are: "To Do"

To be more precise, I only have the problem in the transition to the CLOSED state, as you can see from the picture when I click on one of the two branches it highlights them both.

issue_wf_3.png

These are the rules I set for the close transition

issue_wf_4.png

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to add two different rules that are not mutually exclusive but allow me to get what I want

Thank you 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Ah, you can't if you're using the same transition.  @Paul O has spotted that problem!

Like Matteo Napoleoni likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events