Two Dimensional Filter with Status Category

Daniel Alonso May 23, 2019

I have this Two Dimensional Filter:

image.png

If I scroll right there are like 10 more statuses, I want to show the same report but with Status Category, it would be easier to read.

any thoughts without Apps?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2019

Hello Daniel,

Since the Two Dimensional Filter Statistic Gadget does not have the status category to be selected in the XAxis field, I would recommend you to use Labels, Components or even a new Custom field to set the status category of the issues.

Personally, I would use a separated custom field for it, just to keep it more organized. These would be the steps:

1 - Navigate to JIRA Settings > Issues > Custom Fields

2 - Click to create a new select list custom field (Single choice) with three options: Open, In progress and Done.

3 - Add the field to your project screens and save it

4 - Optional step: instead of adding the field to your edit screens, add it only to the transition screens of your workflow status when the issue moves to a different status category and add post functions to automatically update it. This will avoid users to set the wrong status in the issue.

5 - Navigate to your issue navigator page and bulk add the field to your issues, using a single JQL query to add each of the three field options (Open, In progress, Done) and each query returning the respective statuses of the category. E.g:

status in ("Sendbox UAT", "Deployed", "In progress")

The issues in the query above should be configured with the value In progress in the Custom field

6 - Use the field in the Two Dimensional Filter Statistic Gadget

Let me know if this information helps.

Daniel Alonso June 8, 2019

Nice workaround, thanks!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2019

You are welcome, Daniel.

Have a nice week!

Brian Lockington October 23, 2020

Hi Petter, The 2 dimensional filter on JIRA cloud now seems to allow the Status Category to be selected for an axis. When I select it however it states that all the status categories are empty. Is this a bug?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 28, 2020

Hello @Brian Lockington

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There is no "Status category" field to be selected in the axis of the 2-dimensional filter statistics gadget.

If you see this option, you might be referring to either the single "status" options or a created custom field, which is not related to the status category itself. 
I hope the workaround above helps you achieve the goal you are looking for.

Like Brian Lockington likes this
Brian Lockington October 28, 2020

Hi @Petter Gonçalves -thanks for the reply. Maybe I misunderstand, but it looks like I can select it on JIRA cloud? and it is being returned as none?

Any ideas?JIRAStatusCategoryBug2.PNGJIRAStatusCategoryBug.PNG

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 28, 2020

Hello @Brian Lockington

Thank you for your screenshot.

I see that the gadget you are pointing to is not the inbuilt Two Dimensional Filter Statistic Gadget in Jira, but a different gadget provided by the third-party app Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards.

Since this is a third-party functionality, we suggest contacting the responsible vendor to better understand its functionalities and how you can use it to achieve your needs:

codefortynine Atlassian Apps - Support Portal 

When they reach back to you, please let us know if this app would be a workaround to the lack initially described in this question.

Like # people like this
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 29, 2020

Thank you for linking to our support, @Petter Gonçalves ! The screenshots show indeed a gadget from Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards.

@Brian Lockington , we at codefortynine are happy to help you. When you send us a message we usually reply within one working day.

Update: We released an update for Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards that should fix the issue.

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
4 votes
Carl Weller September 22, 2021

Status categories would be far more useful if they were usable in gadgets such as the two dimensional filter. I'm struggling to understand why this hasn't been implemented yet as it is a no-brainer for rolled-up portfolio style reporting:

As a project team member I want to be able to see detailed statuses for my in-progress tickets so I can manage bottlenecks in my team

BUT

As a programme manager I simply want to see how many tickets are still to do, in progress, or done so I know the overall status of the programme

And you can see this very easily on the sprint health gadget, which clearly works on status category, but only at the level of a sprint. You also get the same visual representation on a roadmap in the 'progress' field for an epic, and in Jira in the release view. We shouldn't have to buy a plug-in for something as basic as this when Atlassian have already implemented the logic multiple times in Jira.

I can see the work-around given would work, but it is basically a hack and against Atlassian's normal guidance to avoid creating unnecessary custom fields (or mis-using components) and post-functions, which would need to be documented and maintained. 

Kathy Barton January 18, 2023

100% agree! There are serious downsides to all of the workaround options, mostly that it's a lot of busy work for someone to recreate functionality that's already there. I don't use labels because I have been burned way too many times by someone fat-fingering a value or using a different case so tickets slip thru the cracks. Adding a custom field is a luxury for anyone in an organization where Jira is tightly governed and custom field requests need to be justified. Why not just fix the existing functionality to use the data that already exists instead of putting the responsibility on the customer to do the work. 

Did the "Don't &@%$ the customer?" banners at home office come down? 

Like Aistė Stikliūtė likes this

Suggest an answer