Turn off all the fields in a field configuration

Mike January 11, 2018

Is there an easy way to set all possible fields to Hide, in a Field Configuration?

I want to make a new Field Configuration. It will only have a few fields in it. Going through the fields one by one, and setting each to Hide, looks like it will take really long -- there are maybe a hundred!

So, is there a way to either start with a blank Field Configuration or to select all the fields and set them to Hide?

Thank you for any insight!

- Mike, seriously under-prepared newbie Jira admin

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018

No, I'm afraid a field configuration starts with the assumption "show everything".

I would take a different approach and do it with screens.  As "create new screen" gives you a screen with no fields, you can just add the ones you want.

Personal opinion on context, field configs and screens:  field configurations "hide" option should be thrown away.

Mike January 12, 2018

Thanks, Nic!

Sadly though, I tried using screens and either they didn't help or I didn't use them correctly 8-(

What I'm trying to do is turn off most fields, plus add a couple of custom fields. I've gotten this to work for Creating issues but have run into two questions.

-- Edit issues shows a bunch of fields I don't want (including status, assignee, story points and reporter). Where are they coming from? or more to the point, how can I turn them off? I assigned the same screen scheme to Edit and to Create, but somehow these additional fields are showing up for Edit.

-- View Issue... does this mean the card/summary view that shows up, for instance, in a Kanban board?

Thank you for any light you can shed!

- Mike

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2018

Ok, let's start with the most simple case - you have Jira Core.  This has no boards that you need to think about.

Every project has an "issue type screen scheme".  This tells the project what "screen scheme" to use for each issue type. 

A "screen scheme" tells the issue what "screen" to use for three of the four primary things you do with issues

• View (the plain full issue view from https://yourjira/browse/<issue-id>)
  • Create
  • Edit

Screens are just a simple list of fields that will be given to the user when they end up on that screen (caveat - the View screen always shows some of the "system" fields, it groups things, and it hides fields that have no data in them, so it can feel like it is ignoring your screen definition).  Screens can be reused by schemes (and workflows, which are the fourth thing you do with issues)

From what you've just said, I suspect you have a screen scheme that says to use one screen for create, which you've edited and got right, and then another screen for edit, which you have not touched.

So, have a good look at the screen schemes for your project!

(And to round off, the view you see on boards in Jira software is controlled mostly by the board, not project settings like screens!)

Suggest an answer