Trying to use conditional logic in JQL when filtering for issues

Steve Janda August 16, 2017

Hello! 

I am trying to display filter results based on status in JIRA. 

project = ODS AND (issuetype = "A" AND status in (Resolved) AND issuetype = "B" AND status in (Open, "In Progress"))

So I am trying to get issue "B" to display based on issue "A" being completed. 

Is this something that can be done in filters? 

Thanks! 

3 answers

0 votes

Well that's fun... 

I am on server. Do you have any suggestions as to how I could either use a workaround or add-on to complete the request?

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2017

Well your example JQL above didn't make sense because it doesn't show any kind of an attempt at a join. Explain further what you're trying to do and we can try and help.

Steve Janda August 17, 2017

Sure thing!  

I want to display an issue's sub-task, in a dashboard but only if another one of the issue's sub-task is marked as resolved.

So I am trying to get issue "B" to display based on issue "A" being completed. I am pretty new when it comes to dashboard, and filter creation so, any direction would be much apppreciated.

Thanks! 

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2017

It's solvable but in a different way. Create a field on Issue B to track when Issue A is done. Change the workflow for Issue A to set the value in Issue B using update linked issue post function. Then just query for issue B and field value.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2017

The short answer is no. In SQL terms you would need a JOIN, in JQL there is no equivelent. You may be able to get it using an add-on. Are you on server of cloud?

0 votes
Vineet Prakash August 16, 2017

Hi 

Try this, it might get work.

project = ODS AND issuetype = "A" AND status in (Resolved) AND project = ODS AND issuetype = "B" AND status in (Open, "In Progress")

Thanks for the suggestion Vineet! I have tried this and unfortunately it did not work. 

Thanks for the input though!

Suggest an answer