Trying to track resolution of development before testing on two different boards

H W January 20, 2020

Hi y'all,

I work with an integration team in charge of development, and another team in charge of testing afterwards.

I would like to track the velocity of developments only, so I made two boards : 

- One for integration team with the last column having status Done ;

- One for testing team with 4 colomuns and a status Done in each: ready to test, testing, bug found, and test done. The first status in the first colum is the same as the last status of the integration team. When this team finds a bug, they either create a new issue or they create a bug linked to the issue, and drop the issue in the "bug found" column in order to track what is on hold of new developments. 

Basically I would like to see the remaining values in my burndown chart go down as soon as an issue reaches the end of the integration team board. I do not want to track the velocity of the testing team.

So far, I am having issues doing so. I am not sure how to use the "Set resolution" option as the tracking goes up as soon as the testing team moves an issue in their board, or when begining a new sprint the report includes and re-opens all the issues with openned bug or tasks.

How do I use the "Set resolution" tick box, in order to be able to use the burndown chart for the integration team only ? 

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hello @H W

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

Per your description, it seems that you are not seeing a coherent data in your burndown chart and are not sure how to set the resolution on your board columns in a way that will display the data you want. Is that correct?

Please, allow me to bring you some concepts about the Burndown chart and your current scenario so we can better confirm that we are on the same page here:

The burndown chart shows the actual and estimated amount of work to be done in a sprint. The horizontal x-axis is a Burndown Chart that indicates time, and the vertical y-axis indicates cards (issues).

About your statement:

One for testing team with 4 colomuns and a status Done in each: ready to test, testing, bug found, and test done. The first status in the first colum is the same as the last status of the integration team. When this team finds a bug, they either create a new issue or they create a bug linked to the issue, and drop the issue in the "bug found" column in order to track what is on hold of new developments. 

As you can see in this documentation, The Burndown Chart is based on your board's column mapping. An issue is considered to be 'To Do' when it is in a status that has been mapped to the left-most column of your board. Similarly, an issue is considered to be 'Done' when it is in a status that has been mapped to the right-most column of your board.

That being said, set a done status to each column of your board is not the correct way that the Jira reports expect it to be configured.

My suggestion to properly track your testing team progress is to add the done status only in the last column of your board, properly setting the resolution flag in that column. In fact, Jira boards are created to track the progress of issues from left-to-right columns, where the resolution should only be set in the last column.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Suggest an answer