Trying to change Jira ticket email notifications

Amanda Chan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 27, 2019

Hey! Trying to turn off email notifications for JIRA each time there is an update or mention on a ticket. I was following the instructions on this article, but when I got to the settings page on my account, I don't have a section for email notifications (as per screenshot). Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 11.50.33 AM.png

3 answers

0 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2019

Setup your notification scheme to use project roles.  Then the project admins can just adjust who gets what notification based on assigning the users to the project roles.  Additiomnally take a look at how you want watchers, assignees, and reporters get notifications and configure that plan into the scheme.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

Like @Randy said you can't do that as a user. You can only turn off notifications of updates you make. 

I suggest you talk to your co-workers and the JIRA admin. I have found the default notification scheme is overkill everywhere I've setup JIRA. If you haven't setup the default user profile to exclude sending updates they make I suggest you change the default and have all the users modify their profile.  Talk to your users to see what they want. Most reporters want create, close, and maybe one or two other milestones statuses depending on the issue type. You can easily create custom events to put in the transition post functions for those events. If you allow people other than the assignee to work on the issue the assignee may want notification of things they do, especially update and comment. 

Amanda Chan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 27, 2019

Adding @Randy 

Thanks both! Is there a way to exclude specific people from specific email notifications? I don't want to turn off all notifications for all users. 

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by "If you haven't setup the default user profile to exclude sending updates they make I suggest you change the default and have all the users modify their profile."? Where in my profile would I be able to change this?

0 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2019

As a user you only have control over suppressing notifications from changes you make.  Notifications from others are configured at the admin level via the notification settings of the project.  If you have admin permissions to adjust the notification settings of the project, look there instead.  If not, contact your project/system admins.

Suggest an answer