Triggering an event from groovy script

Pramod Kutty February 5, 2014

I am trying to trigger a custom event from my groovy script.

IssueEventManager.dispatchEvent(new Long(10001),x,ManagerFactory.getWorkflowManager().getCaller(transientVars),true);

I am getting this error

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.getCaller() is applicable for argument types: (java.util.HashMap) values: [[createdStep:SimpleStep@11[owner=, actionId=0, status=Open], ...]]

Can anyone provide me a working snippet of how to trigger a custom event programatically

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

This depends on your JIRA version and where you trigger the script. I suspect it's in a workflow postfunction, where you could use currentUser for the user part of dispatchEvent().

I got it to work with this snippet

HashMap params = new HashMap();
params.put("baseurl", ManagerFactory.getApplicationProperties().getString(APKeys.JIRA_BASEURL));
//prevent a mail from being generated
params.put("dispatchEvent", new Boolean(false));
EventType event = ComponentManager.getInstance().getEventTypeManager().getEventType( 10001);
IssueEvent issueEvent = new IssueEvent( issue, params, remoteUser, event.getId() );
IssueEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent( issueEvent );

I am not being able to get an outgoing mail when I fire the event . I have created a custom event and have configured it in my default notification scheme . I am using that id over here in the snippet(10001). Is there any other configuraton I need to send the email

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

I would stay with

issueEventManager.dispatchEvent (Long eventTypeId, Issue issue, User remoteUser, boolean sendMail)

this works for me. With the last param you could configure if an email should be send.

What are using to get the remoteUser. I am using User remuser= ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getUser().getDirectoryUser();

but this is causing an error when I pass that to the

issueEventManager.dispatchEvent (Long eventTypeId, Issue issue, UserremoteUser, boolean sendMail)

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014

Is it a listener you're runing? In this case you could use event.user otherwise your approach should work. Maybe you could log which user you get from the authenticationContext, sometimes this is null.

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

when running

issueEventManager.dispatchEvent (Long eventTypeId, Issue issue, UserremoteUser, boolean sendMail)

in a script listener, the check tells me that the variable "issueEventManager" is undeclared.

What can i do?

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

Add

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
def issueEventManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueEventManager()

to your code to import the ComponentAccessor and use this class to get the issueEventManager.

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

thank you

now i get the following

image2016-6-13 15:1:16.png

sorry, i'm not really into scripting smile

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

Could you post the complete code you're using? The message indicates you may be using the wrong parameters.

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

here the original code.

It syncs comments between issues in two projects. What it won't do, is to trigger a issuecommented Event in the destination issue. This is what i'm trying to add.

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;

import org.apache.log4j.Category;

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.AbstractIssueEventListener;
import com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.Comment;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.CommentManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.MutableComment;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.link.IssueLink;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.link.IssueLinkManager;

Category log = Category.getInstance("SyncComments");
IssueManager issueManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager();        
log.info("SyncComments started");
Comment c = event.getComment();
if (c == null)
    return;        

List<Issue> linkedIssues = new ArrayList<Issue>();
IssueLinkManager issueLinkManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager();

List<IssueLink> links = issueLinkManager.getInwardLinks(event.getIssue().getId());
if (links != null && links.size() > 0)
for (IssueLink issueLink : links) {
    switch (Integer.parseInt(String.valueOf(issueLink.getIssueLinkType().getId()))) {
    case 10801:
        linkedIssues.add(issueManager.getIssueObject(issueLink.getSourceId()));
        break;
    }
}

links = issueLinkManager.getOutwardLinks(event.getIssue().getId());
if (links != null && links.size() > 0)
for (IssueLink issueLink : links) {
    int linkid = Integer.parseInt(String.valueOf(issueLink.getIssueLinkType().getId()));
    log.info("linkid: "+linkid);
    switch (linkid) {
    case 10801:
        linkedIssues.add(issueManager.getIssueObject(issueLink.getDestinationId()));
        break;            
    }
}    

log.info("linkedIssues: "+linkedIssues.size());
for (Issue issueDest : linkedIssues) {            
    MutableIssue issueDestination = issueManager.getIssueObject(issueDest.getId());

if (issueDestination != null) {
        CommentManager commentManager = ComponentAccessor.getCommentManager();

Comment destinationComment = null;                
        List<Comment> comments = commentManager.getComments(issueDestination);
        for (Comment comment : comments) {
            if (comment.getAuthorApplicationUser().equals(c.getAuthorApplicationUser())    && comment.getCreated().equals(c.getCreated()))
                destinationComment = comment;
        }

Comment triggerComment = event.getComment();

if (destinationComment != null) {
            // comment is still there and has to be updated
            MutableComment destinationMutableComment = commentManager
                    .getMutableComment(destinationComment.getId());
            destinationMutableComment.setBody(triggerComment.getBody());
            destinationMutableComment.setGroupLevel(triggerComment.getGroupLevel());
            destinationMutableComment.setRoleLevelId(triggerComment.getRoleLevelId());
            destinationMutableComment.setUpdateAuthor(triggerComment.getUpdateAuthorApplicationUser());
            destinationMutableComment.setUpdated(triggerComment.getUpdated());
            commentManager.update(destinationMutableComment, false);
            log.info("SyncComment edited a comment with id " + destinationMutableComment.getId()+ " at the issue with key " + issueDestination.getKey());
        } else {
            // Comment has to be created
            Comment comment = commentManager.create(issueDestination, triggerComment.getAuthorApplicationUser(), triggerComment.getUpdateAuthorApplicationUser(), triggerComment.getBody(), triggerComment.getGroupLevel(), triggerComment.getRoleLevelId(), triggerComment.getCreated(), triggerComment.getUpdated(), false);
            log.info("SyncComment created a comment with id " + comment.getId() + " at the issue with key "+ issueDestination.getKey());
        }
    }
}
log.info("SyncComment finished");
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2016

Try this

import com.atlassian.jira.event.type.EventType

def issueEventManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueEventManager()

issueEventManager.dispatchEvent(EventType.ISSUE_COMMENTED_ID, issueDestination, c.authorApplicationUser.directoryUser, true)

issueEventManager.dispatchEvent(EventType.ISSUE_COMMENT_EDITED_ID, issueDestination, c.updateAuthorApplicationUser.directoryUser, true)

The first dispatchEvent is for the else{} part, the second for the if{} part.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2016

Forget my comment... just replace the last parameter false of commentManager.update() and commentManager.create() with true and the correct event should be triggered.

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2016

great! works perfectly

thank you very much smile

Suggest an answer