Trigger events on remote web application?

Matthew Fisher October 25, 2012

My company has a home grown test enviroment that uses a web based API to run tests aginst our applications.

We would like to be able to fire off tests on the system automatically when the test cases are created in JIRA and

then push the results back when the tests have completed.

Pushing the results back should be easy enough through JIRA's API however, I am not sure how to go about triggering

the tests on the remote system.

I read about webhooks and that would have been perfect for what we need but that feature will not be available until 5.2.

I looked at setting a lisitener to fire a custom event but it seems that events can only be bound to mail templates?

Does any body know a way to trigger a event to run something other than email notification or system events?

Or do I need to look at writing my own plugin?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2012
I use a combination of a servlet and an event listener for use cases like that since due to firewall rules Jira can't access the system that i need to trigger.

The servlet just waits on an object until the event listener is fired on an issue creation/update and notifies the object. The servlet returns "triggered" as response. In order to not let the servlet wait forever the wait is limited to 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the servlet returns "timeout" as response.

The client on your test environment would just open the servlet url. When the http get returns response "triggered" the test is triggered. After that the servlet url is called again in a loop. The best would be to place this in service/daemon.

This solution is *not* beautiful since it permanently consumes one server thread . You might multiplex multiple events over that single Url with a single client service/daemon to not waste more server threads.

Suggest an answer