Trigger events on remote web application?

My company has a home grown test enviroment that uses a web based API to run tests aginst our applications.

We would like to be able to fire off tests on the system automatically when the test cases are created in JIRA and

then push the results back when the tests have completed.

Pushing the results back should be easy enough through JIRA's API however, I am not sure how to go about triggering

the tests on the remote system.

I read about webhooks and that would have been perfect for what we need but that feature will not be available until 5.2.

I looked at setting a lisitener to fire a custom event but it seems that events can only be bound to mail templates?

Does any body know a way to trigger a event to run something other than email notification or system events?

Or do I need to look at writing my own plugin?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote
Dieter Community Champion Oct 25, 2012
I use a combination of a servlet and an event listener for use cases like that since due to firewall rules Jira can't access the system that i need to trigger.

The servlet just waits on an object until the event listener is fired on an issue creation/update and notifies the object. The servlet returns "triggered" as response. In order to not let the servlet wait forever the wait is limited to 5 minutes. After 5 minutes the servlet returns "timeout" as response.

The client on your test environment would just open the servlet url. When the http get returns response "triggered" the test is triggered. After that the servlet url is called again in a loop. The best would be to place this in service/daemon.

This solution is *not* beautiful since it permanently consumes one server thread . You might multiplex multiple events over that single Url with a single client service/daemon to not waste more server threads.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,300 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot