Transition issue from Another Project

Hamdy Atakora November 11, 2018

Hello,

Let me start by saying all the help provided is very much appreciated.

So here is my issue. I have two projects A and B and one workflow. See workflows below.

The issues are created in Project B when an issue is transitioned to "Request to Customer" in Project A using a Post Script function from Script Runner. The issues created in Project B are clones of the one in A.

Now my main problem is that i am trying to get issue in Project A to automatically transition when the one in B are transitioned as well.

For example is the cloned issue in Project B is transitioned to "Approved", i want the one in Project A to also transition to "Customer Approved" and vice versa if it cancelled.

I have looked at other response from other people post but i cannot get it to work. Please assist.

Thank you very much.

Project A.pngProject B.png

2 answers

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2018

Hi @Hamdy Atakora,

to throw in another possibility. You could also use an issue synchronisation app for this. This way, you could create an issue automatically in the other project in a certain condition (status is "Request to customer").

And you could configure this solution so that when a status changes in project B also the status in project A changes.

I'm working for such a solution, Backbone Issue Sync, but you could also give the other issue sync solutions a try.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Hamdy Atakora November 12, 2018

Hello 

Thank you for your reply. Does Backbone Issue Sync provide capabilities such as 

-Automatic Clone issue creation

-Other post functions?

As far as i can see pricing is about the same and if it can do the same thing that i am currently using Script Runner for and also help me with my current issue i'd be happy to try it out.

Really appreciate the help.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2018

Hi @Hamdy Atakora,

the automatic clone creation is basically the main feature here. It can even keep the fields in sync afterwards.

Backbone does not offer post functions, but within our synchronization you are able to map the states of the workflow of project A to states of the workflow of project B. Backbone will then make sure that the state in project A is always the corresponding one in project B and vice versa.

You can use the 30-day trial to check if it meets your needs. Feel free to also ask questions via support@k15t.com.

Cheers,
Matthias.

I just glanced through it and seemed that this will be syncing the issues as the configuration starts running.

I only want it to sync the issues if the one in Project A is in a certain status. If not i don't want it to sync . It seems this will require some JQL which i am very new to.

Any ideas?

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2018

You understood it perfectly.

Writing a JQL query which meets your needs is actually not too hard. You can build your query in Jira if you click on Issues > Search issues.

There you can use Jira's UI in order to build up a query with the various parameters. And when you're done, you can press the advanced button and copy the value which is in the text field.

Yeah  i am pretty familia with that functionality. What i meant was a condition on which the synchronization runs. 

I just installed and configured it. Then the second i ran it. It copied all my issues over from the Project A to B. 

Whereas i am trying to set the condition "To only clone an issue from A to B if and only if the issue in B are in Status= Escalated or whatever

Because certain issues are not escalated but immediately closed and i do not want to sync those.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2018

Here's an article from our docs which explains you how you can limit the set of issues you want to synchronize. It is available in the issuetype mappings screen.

You can then specify a JQL when the issue should be synchronized.

0 votes
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2018

I can think of two ways to do this. The first is to use the post-function in Jira Workflow Toolbox that will allow you to transition linked issues. You will need to set this post-function in every transition that should cause the linked issue to transition. This doesn't require any coding and should be pretty straightforward to implement. The downside is that maintenance and debugging could become cumbersome.

The second approach is to have an Event Listener written in Groovy that listens for a transition in Issue B and applies the appropriate transition to linked Issue A. This requires more scripting knowledge but puts all of the logic in a single place.

Hamdy Atakora November 11, 2018

Hello Sir,

Thank you very much for your reply and i very much appreciate it. I did try going that path but the first option that you mentioned is requiring some coding which is where i am getting stuck. 

I just recently started working with Jira and i am charge with Administrating it. I am learning about the scripting with Groovy bu i don't have enough knowledge yet to accomplish the task that i want the issues to perform. 

Jira Workflow Toolbox is only available for Server i belive . I am using the Cloud version.

But then again i am expected to do research and kinda figure it out.

All the help is very much appreciated. Please see below a  screenshot of when i try the post-function to transition linked issues.

I have tried using the FastTrack option but it is requiring some coding and i have no idea where to start

Again thank you very much for all the help. It is very much appreciated.

post function in Jira Workflow with Script Runner.pngpost function in Jira Workflow.png

C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2018

You might want to contact an Atlassian partner to help you get over the hurdle. My initial thought is that your workflow and your approach may be overly complicated and that you can accomplish what you are trying to do in a more straightforward fashion. That is where working with an Atlassian partner can be really helpful. We have implemented many, many workflows for various complex needs and may be able to set you on the right path to success faster than you will get there on your own.

You can find partners local to you at https://www.atlassian.com/partners

Suggest an answer