Transition into a column with multiple statuses

Vigfus Andersson September 5, 2017

I'm waiting for permission to create multiple statuses so atm I'm just trying to validate the setup and Workflow in my head so please bare with me as I will question my layout in the reasoning process...

a) I want to create quite a few statuses so each sub team (UX, Code, Test) have their own statuses To Do, In Progress and Done (the statuses will have a sub team suffix to make them unique (ie To Do_ux))

b) I want to create an overview filter with the columns To Do, UXing, Coding, Testing, Done

c) Each sub team will get filters that displays the their specific statuses + the overview columns of the other sub teams (Test will get To Do, UXing, Coding, To Do_test, In Progress_test, Done_test and Done)

1) Will the status Done_xxx for each sub team be redundant as I want a transition to take place when for instance UX move a card from In Progress_ux to Done_ux? Once the card hits Done_ux I want it to automatically move again into the next column with the status To Do_code. I'm just trying to give a visual representation with the Done_xxx column, but those will in effect always be empty as the card automatically will have been moved into To Do_xxx (or Done if it comes from the sub team Test).

2) If I move the card between different columns on the overview board I get the dotted boxes on where I want the card to land when I have multiple statuses in the receiving column. Can I force the card to go into the To Do_code by only having arrows into the To Do_code status in the Workflow from all the statuses from UX? (ie not get any dotted boxes for In Progress_code and Done_code since the Workflow shows there's no process to move from In Progress_ux to In Progress_code or Done_code)?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2017

1) Yes, you do have redundent status, and the desire to "automatically" move things to the next column is a broken requirement. 

Instead of having two status that represent the same thing, ("done by developers" is the same as "ready for testers"), have one status, but use the columns as they are intended.

Let's say your process is

to do -> in development -> ready to test -> in testing -> done

Set up two boards, each with three columns named like "to do", "in progress", "done".  For the developer's board, the to do column contains to do, in progress has in-development, and done has "ready to test" (it could contain the other two if you want to see everything).  The board for the testers should have "to do" = "ready to test", "in progress" = in testing, and done = done.

2) Yes, you can place conditrions on your workflow.  If an issue fails a condition, the issue cannot go through the transition.

Vigfus Andersson September 6, 2017

Thanks for the confirmation Nic!

We talked it over this morning and since each team can rename the columns for their respective board we decided to ditch the redundant Done statuses as they won't give us any value - only more administration.

Suggest an answer