Transferring the Values from One Custom Field to Another

Shriya Chhajed June 12, 2019

Hi, 

Is it possible to Transfer the value of one custom field to another, so that the previous field could be deleted? If yes, then: 

- Is it possible to transfer the value from same types of custom field (Number to Number) ?

- Is it possible to transfer from different types of fields (Text type to Number) ?

Also, will it be directly mapped to the correct issues ? 

Thanks for your help in advance!

Thanks and Regards

Shriya Chhajed

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2019

if you have a scriptrunner, you can use built-in functionality to do it:

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.5.0/jira/builtin-scripts.html#_copy_custom_field_values

if not, i would export data to csv (in a form issuekey;fieldvalue) and then import it into another field, which will also cover text to number transition

Shriya Chhajed June 13, 2019

Hi @Ilya Turov 

Thank you for your response!

Exporting through CSV solved my problem.

Thanks and Regards

Shriya Chhajed

dew October 24, 2021

can you share step by step about this issue
i wanna transfer from current field to new field

3 votes
Paul Wright November 24, 2021

You could use automation that you can manually trigger that copies the value from one cell to another.

If you choose the 'edit' feature, you can select the source and destination field.

When the automation is triggered, the field content is copied and you can then remove the source field from the screen view when done.

geetha_bp April 24, 2023

Hi Mr.Paul,

I have a issue here.  I want to copy custom date to another custom field which is also date in existing project.  There are 33 issues and i need to just copy the dates.

Can you please help me here.

Paul A Wright April 24, 2023

HI @geetha_bp 

In the same way as described, using the automation would be the simplest way I believe.

Alternatively, you could export the data to excel and re-import it to the tickets.

If the automation doesn't work because the field formats differ, importing may be the easiest approach (other than scriptrunner).

Hope that helps

Regards

Paul

Like Olson-admin,Renee likes this
Hendre Labuschagne
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 24, 2024

Hi,

Can you please share a step by step for exporting and importing data?

My teams Jira Service Project has 'Building' and 'Building Location' fields. I am trying to consolidate the data in to one of the fields so i can delete the other which will allow me to create more issue types and automation's.

Our license doesnt include scriptrunner and there is no automation that will update tickets without interacting with each one which is not viable as we have 5500+ closed tickets.

Any advice is appreciated.

Suggest an answer