Transfer of a Jira Project to another company

Steven Moscoe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 15, 2018

We're working with an organization that is managing a project on behalf of a client.  We'd like to transfer that project from that third party to the client.  The client, of course, is willing to pay for the new licenses required.  How can this transfer be done?  Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2018

The easiest way is to do a JIRA backup, import the backup to the new instance, and then delete all the other projects, screens, fields, etc. If you can't be involved at the new organization to clean up the unneeded data you can download the server version, import and edit data there. then backup the final data and use that backup at the new site. The server version can be installed on a workstation or laptop for this activity. 

Steven Moscoe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 18, 2018

Joe,

Thanks.  Who can do the JIRA back-up?  Only an admin at the original service provider?  If the original provider wasn't cooperative, is there any practical way to get all of the data out of the old instance if you're a user with access to all of the items, but not "administrator" access?

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Steve Moscoe

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2018

Contact your provider. I've only worked on the server version where I have complete control. 

Like Steven Moscoe likes this

Suggest an answer