Transfer Jira issues between instances keeping attachments and images

Maryse.Fantin January 12, 2021

Hi,

We want to transfer all the Jira issues of a project from the Next Gen Cloud version to a server version. 

I can see the various export formats but they do not seem to all include the images and other attachments as part of the export. HTML format seems the best bet to do so but some images included in the issue seem to become corrupted and therefore would not appear in the file (Message is: "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file and location")

What is the best way to prevent this loss of data between Jira instances?

Thanks in advance! :)

1 answer

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Maryse.Fantin , 

it's always a bit tricky to move issues between Jira instances, even more when you want to get your issues attachements, and even more when it's from a next gen project ! 

What you need to know is that you'll have to get the data exported in CSV format, as this is what Jira accepts when importing in Server. And I believe you will also need to move your issues from a next-gen project to a classic project first on your Cloud instance.

If you also need to get the attachments, then you'll need to make sure that your Jira Server instance can retrieve them : that means having the Cloud instance set to "public", otherwise your Server instance won't be able to see the tickets and get the files.

It will be a lot of work, you can have a look at the documentation here for the next-gen project migration : https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-from-a-next-gen-project-to-a-classic-project-957974933.html#:~:text=Move%20your%20existing%20issues%20into%20your%20new%20project&text=Select%20the%20issues%20you%20want,issue%20type%2C%20and%20hit%20Next.

And here for the CSV import in Jira Server : https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver/creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer-939937906.html

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Suggest an answer