Tracking status changes and time spent on tasks in JIRA

Adam Argenti May 8, 2020

I'm essentially trying to figure out a way to track amount of work being performed by users, as well as how many times a task had to be recycled before it was successfully resolved. In short, I would like to see how much time was spent on a task in each of it's statuses, and by who. 

Our workflow is basically this, Development>QA>Resolved. I want to get a breakdown of how much time a user has spent on the task. We have multiple cases where a task fails initial QA, and when it comes back it is tested by another user. I want to be able to show the amount of time each user spent on a task and track the status changes as well. 

The solution that I keep seeing in the Community here is to use the 'Timesheets Reports and Gadgets' app. Is there any way to do this without having to use an addon app?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2020

Hi,

Welcome to the community.

It is not possible out of the box. You will need an addon like Timesheet as you said.

Mahesh Yadav August 19, 2022

@Mohamed Benziane 

Have you said addition addon like Timesheet we have added and we are new to this JIRA platform. 

Please share the steps to configure when changing the status they have to enter the time spent. It should come popup window when changing the status. 

Thanks

Yadav 

3 votes
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 13, 2020

Hi @Adam Argenti 

Additionally, you can try the application Time in Status for Jira Cloud.

It will let you on getting:

- status time - monitor all statuses duration data about each issue

- assignee time - how long each user was working on each issue

- status count - how many times an issue has been in each status.

Also, you can view the amount of time each user spent on issue statuses (using filter issue list by assignee)

2020-05-13_20-33-11.png

1 vote
Michael Boumansour February 18, 2021

I have a free tool that will do exactly what you need. It's called the Enhanced Jira Query Tool. It is a Google Sheets application that leverages the Jira REST API to retrieve data from Jira. It can retrieve any field and its respective properties from Jira. It also has special derived fields not available in Jira such as time in status, cycle/lead time, working time, waiting time, and unplanned work to name a few. You can find the tool along with other free tools I have created on the Agile Creatives Tools page. There is a demo video and usage guide for all the tools. I have also created a training video on Udemy for the Enhanced Jira Query Tool.  Here is a coupon that will allow you to enroll in the course for free for the next 3 days. I hope this helps you both. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Mike

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 7, 2020

Hi,

You can use the Issue Tracker for Jira addon which displays the status time right inside the Issue screen. Following are the charts which will help you track the same.

Assignee Transition Graph.PNGChart.PNG

Status Transition.PNG

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
May 19, 2020

Hi @Adam Argenti ,

You can try Status Time add-on.
StatusCount.gif

If you are looking for a free add-on, you can try the free version, Status Time Free.

Hope it helps

Suggest an answer