Tracking down slow (and strange!) lucene queries

In our atlassian-jira.log file there are many many INFO warnings about slow lucene queries that frankly don't make much sense. I'm trying to track down where they're coming from, and would appreciate any pointers on how to most effectively track down the offending plugin/dashboard/whatever.

They don't make sense in that the INFO warning statements all take a form similar to this...

JQL query '{project = "foo"} AND {component = "bar"} AND {key in ("baz-123")}' produced lucene query and took '389' ms to run.

... where the key is for a different project than is listed in the first term. They appear never able to positively return any results! Sometimes there are additional terms adede in specifying issuetype, or reporter. But they always specify a key and a project in conflict w each other.

In the atlassian-JIRA.log, these slow queries are attributed to users all across the company, who confirm they're not triggering these via the search interface. Interestingly, the atlassian-jira-slow-queries.log shows a different set of slow queries and none of these ones. 

If it matters, we're on JIRA server 6.4.14, and we have a handful of big plugins installed... Zephyr 2.6.1, ScriptRunner 4.1.3, BigPicture 5.4.2, Agile 6.7.16, Structure 3.3.0.

Thank you for any suggestions! 

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Katie,

Did you ever figure this out?

I'm a little late, but I'm dealing with the same problem right now. I isolated the cause to one of the Slack webhooks I have setup - disabling it stops the INFO statements. Still haven't figured out what's causing it, but at least I've found the culprit. 

This widget could not be displayed.

Damian is absolutely correct.  From what I can tell, every event (Issue: created, updated) for EVERY ticket in JIRA is compared to the JQL in the webhook.  If it takes more than 50ms to run, then it puts the INFO into the log.

I've tried simplifying my JQL by adding "updated >= -1m", but that seems to have had little or no effect.  The only thing I can think to do now is to break up my web hooks into multiple simple JQL queries.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

151 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you