Tracking different times on issues.

Dale Hughes April 24, 2023

I'm looking for an easy way to track time of devs in a project, specifically split into

Time Spent on developing

Code reviews

Release

I would ideally like this to be 3 separate time tracking on each issue but cant figure out how to track the time,

currently we have a "distractions" ticket for devs to just log blocks of time against for reviews and other stuff.

Is there a better way of tracking this?

4 answers

2 votes
Dániel Ballabás - EverIT
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 24, 2023

Hi Dale,

you can use tags to differentiate the different types of time spent working on an issue. We've introduced this feature recently to our Timetracker app (note: I'm part of the team at EverIT, the developer).

assigntagtimeline (2).gif
You can customize the name of the tags however you like, and you will be able to filter them on our app's reporting view quickly.

As with all marketplace apps, Timetracker also comes with a free trial period of a minimum of 30 days.

You can check the app out here.

If you have any questions, just book a free demo, and we'll happily answer them!

Daniel

2 votes
Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 24, 2023

Hello @Dale Hughes 

Welcome to the community! 

I guess you can try Time in Status  for Jira Cloud (developed by my SaaSJet team).

With add-on you will easily do 3 separate time tracking on each issue. I inserted a screenshot how it will look like.

GIF TIS.gif

This add-on has a 30-day free trial version.

Please, let me know if you have any questions

Best regards, Valeriia 

0 votes
Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2023

Hi @Dale Hughes 
Welcome to the community!

I understand you would like to know how much time on a ticket is spent on a specific task.

Using statuses to track that and then pulling time in status with an app is one approach, pretty common and there's nothing wrong with it.

I'd like to offer you a different approach with a solution developed by our team, the HeroCoders. If you're looking for an easy way to track time as well as discern what was done, you might be interested in our app, Clockwork Pro.

It allows you to add custom attributes - tags if you will - to worklogs and then display timesheets that show time spent broken down by those tags. You can also make these fields mandatory. This is what it looks like while adding the worklog: 

Atributes.png

Those data can be in a simple way shown in Clockwork Timesheet, or reports, please find below an example using your use case:

atributes_timesheet.png

If you have any additional questions, related to that topic, let me know.

Cheers!

Gracjan

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
April 24, 2023

Hello @Dale Hughes

Jira's own time-tracking system doesn't differentiate between work log entries. It doesn't provide a way to mark any work log as different from the others. All work logs are accumulated at the issue level.

Alternatively, you can configure your workflow so each of the times you want to measure is represented b a different status. In that case, you can use one of the marketplace apps to measure how much time each issue spent on those statuses. If you choose to implement this option, you need to make sure that users keep issue statuses updated (which might be a challenge).

If you are OK with using a marketplace app for this, our team at OBSS built Time in Status for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud, and Data Center.  

Time in Status mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or each assignee

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png    tisCloud_AssigneeDuration.png

The app has Consolidated Columns feature. This feature allows you to combine the duration for multiple statuses into a single column and exclude unwanted ones. It is the most flexible way to get any measurement you might want. Measurements like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc. 

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example total in-progress time per Vertical or average resolution time per sprint, week, month, issuetype, request type, etc. The ability to group by parts of dates (year, month, week, day, hour) or sprints is particularly useful here since it allows you to compare different time periods or see the trend. 

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average_TimeGrouped.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects for Jira Cloud.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events