Tracking actions during backlog call

Paul Murphy May 20, 2021

Hi 

I am looking for suggestions on how best to track follow up actions in Jira during a backlog call

Currently when reviewing a new jira ticket some follow up work might be needed i.e. John smith to reach out to Mary Smith to get more information on Jira tick (epic)

currently we are keeping track of these actions in a sharepoint spreadsheet but as it is outside of the jira tool people tend to forget out the list.

We have tried entering Tasks but find this process is slow when done during the backlog call.

I was wondering if anybody has come up with a fast, simple way of tracking actions - either by using a add-on to jira, maybe confluence or something similar

I would like to track the action, be able to assign it to a Jira user and display the actions in a form of dashboard or one place within Jira and avoid having to use an external resource such as excel or sharepoint. 

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Kilian Brachtendorf May 20, 2021

@Paul Murphy since this is an issue we are also encountering on a weekly basis, I am inclined to to create a customized addon for this task. 

Currently our weekly meeting includes creating a separate spreadsheet with redundant information only to be looked at again at a later point in time noticing that some tasks have been missed.

I could imagine an overview page allowing to batch create tasks/sub-tasks, associate them with issues and allow assigning to users. Creating a separate dashboard may or may not be necessary. If these new tasks would be assigned a value in custom field they could quickly be filtered via JQL and displayed with already existing build in tools. 

To get a better feel of your workflow and use case please reach out to me at kilian@brachtendorf.dev and we can discuss this topic further. Here it would be interesting to know which fields your spreadsheet is using, how does your process look like and are there some additional features like reminder mails desired?

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

@Paul Murphy Welcome to the Atlassian community.

This is a great question and I think we all have encountered this.  It is going to depend on the team, how they work and the processes that you have in place.  

For the majority of the projects I have led this has worked best for me.  I use Confluence for our meetings and have an agenda for the meeting and use track these tasks.  I ensure that I have one or two individuals assigned to take notes during the meeting.  This allows me to lead the meeting and ensure that all information is getting captured.  As action items come up they are recorded as tasks on the Confluence page.  We have the notes set up to gather all open tasks at the top from all the meeting notes so we can see what is still open.  

Now going back to team dynamics and processes. Some teams having the tasks in the meeting notes works well and they will get them done for others they want them as a Jira task.

I actually use a hybrid method majority of the time.  Small / not critical tasks I leave in Confluence.  Critical or larger items I create tasks in Jira.  Creating Jira tasks is also easy to do since I can just highlight the Confluence task and make a Jira issue out of it.

Suggest an answer