Tracking User Story Points completed by individual when a story has multiple contributors

Jacob Muzzy January 14, 2020

Hi Jira Community!!

Disclaimer:  I know there are plenty of Red Flags regarding Agile behaviors in the situation below, and we will use this as a lesson learned to improve in the long term. 

However, the company i am contracted with is currently using a consultant to supply developers.  The contract states that each individual contributor will complete X story points each sprint, thus we must report the story points completed by each individual to management at the end of each sprint.  The challenge we are facing is how to properly record a situation in Jira where there are multiple contributors to a story. 

As of know we are creating a 2nd "mirror-image" story and splitting the story points between the two, but this frustrates me as it clutters the board and contributes to the difficulty we are having building out a nice looking backlog.

Does anyone have another suggestion that would allow us to show multiple contributors to a completing a user story?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

The only way I can think of doing this is to create specific sub-tasks for time-logs and get your people to log story points on them.  Making sure that the field they use is NOT used for estimation because that will not work.  It's purely for counting.  Also, use a board filter that excludes those issue types, or a quick-filter to get rid of them.

I'd also want to ask why you let someone who has no clue what a story point is anywhere near a contractual agreement.  But that's another story.

Jacob Muzzy January 14, 2020

thanks, Nic! 

Suggest an answer