Track the number of times a defect has changed its status

Madhavi Gopavajjula August 7, 2018

Hi,  Can we track how many times a defect has moved from one status to the other?  Suppose a defect has moved from "In Dev" status to "QA" and then "In Review" status.  Later, it moved back to "In Dev" status and went through the work flow statuses.. Suppose this has occurred number of times for a 1000 defects.  I would like to know the procedure to analyse the number of times the defects has passed back and forth in its status for a group of defects.  What query can I give to get this information?  Please help.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2018

Hello Madhavi,

JIRA itself does not have this functionality, however, there is an add-on that can provide you the data to meet your requirement: JIRA Misc Workflow Extension

Using the add-on, you can create a custom number field (with the initial value of 0) and use the post function Increase value of field to increase the field value each time you go through a transition.

See https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JMWE/Post-functions

It would increment the value for each defect, so you would still need to sum the value added to each defect to have the total number as you need.

Madhavi Gopavajjula August 20, 2018

Thank you Petterson,  for the detailed response- this is helpful.   

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2018

I'm glad to know I was able to help, Madhavi.

Please, feel free to accept my answer to help other customers in the community with this same question.

Suggest an answer