Topic: Labels - How to list all labels? Possibility of rename labels?

Sebastian Dinzenhofer January 9, 2014

Hello,

I've searched the Online Help and didn't find any information regarding my questions.

1. Is there a list of all used labels in my account? Where can I find it?

2. I'd like to rename some of our labels as they are actually a shortcut and I'd like to use the longer form for better understanding.

Looking forward to your answers.

We're using Jira OnDemand with Greenhopper.

Regards,

Martin

6 answers

0 votes
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 27, 2019

Hi Sebastian,

There is no default feature in Jira to view all labels. We have released a new add-on which allows viewing and managing labels quite easy:

Label Manager for Jira Cloud

This is currently available for Jira Cloud. It allows you to:

- View all labels in one place

- Number of issues under a label

- Rename or change label (which is reflected in all issues)

If you find any bugs or have questions, feel free to contact us.

0 votes
Florian Kette May 5, 2017

Hi Martin,

I have exactly they same question, unfortunately nobody answered on you. 

Did you find out how that works?

Best,

Florian

0 votes
Sebastian Dinzenhofer January 14, 2014

Hi,

thanks for your answers. As we use Jira OnDemand I've no access to the database.

My resolution is to use CustomFields instead of labels in for the future, because I can manage them within the administration section.

Thanks, Martin

0 votes
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2014

Hi,

Steve is right. The only way to look for all labels at a time and quickly modify them now is through the database. In my case, I need to restart and then reindex JIRA for the changes to fully take effect.

Cheers,

Andy

0 votes
Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2014

You could look at the database entries for the labels. Each project has a set of labels defined.

From there you could update the affected labels directly.

For example:

select * from jiradb.label;
update jiradb.label set label="newlabel" where id=10301;

Please note though, I doubt this is a proper method to perform the action, but it does work on my test systems.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2014

i don't think you can able to rename labels in jira, what you can do is create a new label and add to the issues and remove the existing label

issue has already submitted for the same: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/LBL-146

may be other users have better solution!!

Sebastian Dinzenhofer January 9, 2014

Thanks for your quick answer.

The problem here ist, that you have to navigate to each issue, add a new label and delete the old one. A bulk change is no alternative as every other label will be deleted in such a process.

i really hope there's another possibility.

Thanks for the link to the issue. hope it will soon be a new feature ;-) altough the issue ist from 2012...

Suggest an answer