Too many sprints in backlog

Jirong Hu October 22, 2019

After I migrated about 3000 issues from Rally, now I have 100+ sprints (migrated from Rally Iteration) in the JIRA backlog, and all of them are above the actual issues in the backlog. This 100+ sprints also makes loading backlog very slow, and scroll down to see the actual backlog is even worse.

How can I resolve this?

2 answers

0 votes
Jirong Hu October 25, 2019

Finally I figured out: the 1st Sprint can't start because there is no issue in it. Once I created an issue in it, then I can start it and complete it. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2019

yikes! 100 future sprints? If you do not care to retain the sprints, and IMO should not but that is just MO, I would consider using bulk edit and clear the Sprint field for all issues in backlog. Now, I don't know how many issues that will leave in your backlog and how much it will help w/ loading of the backlog but it should at least get rid of the sprints.

Guess I am not familiar with the Sprint in JIRA enough. so when a Sprint is completed, the value for the Sprint field for all these issues are removed? Is there a way to close these Sprints got migrated from Rally so they won't appear in the backlog? They are not future Sprints, they are past Sprints.

In my JIRA PROD server, I can see there are multiple Sprints in the Active Sprint folder. I am doing the Rally to JIRA migration in my JIRA DEV server. How can I move all these sprints in backlog to the Active Sprint view?

As you can see from the attached screenshot, the migrated Sprint shows in the backlog.

JIRA PROD server:

JIRA PROD.PNG

JIRA DEV Server:

JIRA DEV.PNG

Suggest an answer