Tomcat uses 100% cpu after jira upgrade

Hi guys,

While using Jira 6 and so on, I've had no such problems, but after upgrade from Jira 6.3 to Jira 6.3.4, immediately tomcat started using all CPU (2 virtual cpu's) full (almost 100%). When no one is using Jira, cpu (tomcat) usage is about ~2% and when any jira user opens any page, usage immediately jumps to 80% - 100% percents untill page is loaded and dear God it takes a looong time to load that page. Even though the page is only pressed to "reload". Using processexp showed that the problem is that tomcat creats MSVCR100.dll threads (~100 threads) that overuse cpu. After searching for any solutions i've increased jira Java memory sizes as follows:

set JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=384m

set JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=3768m

Although, there are a lot suggestions what to do, being an average computer administrator i do not actually know where to begin and what i need to find in catalina logs or so. Also, I didnt quiet understand how to make a dump file for this problem.

Virtual Machine Windows 7

4 GB Ram

2 CPU's

Jira version 6.3.4

Only 1 application running on Tomcat 7

Can anyone direct me to the solution? Catalina.log: http://pastebin.com/VpgpFsvQ.

3 answers

I'm facing exactly the same issue as you described. And I ended up did a OS recovery to my daily disk restore point which has an earlier JIRA version of 6.1.

Thanks for an answer, i'm afraid that i would have to do the same but that's just nonsense.

Maybe it's worth to submit a bug for this?

Forgot to mention my server config is:

Windows Server 2012

16G Ram

4 Cores

Jira Version 6.3.4

How come I changed Memory sizes in setenv.bat but still Systeminfo shows:

JVM Input Arguments -Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA -Dcatalina.base=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\endorsed -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\temp -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\conf\logging.properties -XX:MaxPermSize=384m exit -Xms128m -Xmx256m

Appearantly, Jira installation setup is shipped without some very importat java config parameters, such as:

-Dorg.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER=true

-Dmail.mime.decodeparameters=true

Adding those to the Tomcat ( https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Properties+and+Options+on+Startup) helped to free about 15% cpu which does a bit of a trick.

Also, i ran the Jira log scanner and it also showed same errors to fix and docummentation to them.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Posted 7 hours ago in Jira

We want to know what Jira Service Desk apps you're using!

Hi Community! My name is Amir and I’m on the Jira Service Desk product marketing team at Atlassian. Our team would love to understand how you’re leveraging our ecosystem for Jira Service Desk. Wha...

25 views 0 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you