To start as Jira administration- Resources to learn?

Parvathy Manishanker davey April 5, 2021

Hi,

I am a project manager and I might need to do jira administration as well as added responsibility in my company.There is no dedicated jira admin. I have a good sense of Jira as jira user but not as jira admin. I would like to know right learning path so that i can do jira administration completely. Please share information on certifications recommended, links for learning, etc.,

Thank you

PD

4 answers

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

Hi @Parvathy Manishanker davey 

I think first you need to decide what you are trying to achieve - Jira Administration only, Jira System Administration, Jira Development, Jira Consultant or mix of everything.

Since you are a project manager and it seems like Jira Administration is something extra that you have do a new responsibility then I think you can focus first on customisation Jira. Standard Jira Administration training can cover this in couple of days. Since you already are using Jira then you can easily pick it up.

I would say sign up for a cloud instance (since you tagged cloud not server). Keep playing with it, mess it up, fix it, integrate it with other tools, learn Jira REST API, learn automations, check various apps, try to import/export data and much more.

The best thing you can do is come to the Atlassian Community everyday for few minutes and answer questions. You may know the answer already to some of the questions, if not then try to find the answer and in few months you will feel confident that you know how to make Jira work for you.

I hope it helped.

Ravi

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ , Thanks for the detailed advice, a lot works for me too! sounds like a ready-made action plan! 😎

1 vote
Andrew Kendris
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

Hello @Parvathy Manishanker davey - The Atlassian University is a great starting point as it provides great insight into the various certifications and learning paths (to include Jira Administrator)

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2021

+ 1 to Andrew!

The Atlassian University cources is the right way to learn products! 

Like Andrew Kendris likes this
0 votes
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2021

Hi, @Parvathy Manishanker davey !

I agree with all answers above, also I can recomend you in-app Training for Jira.

Look through the updates of it.

It will be usefull to your teammates too!

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

Hi @Parvathy Manishanker davey welcome to the Atlassian Community forum.

To answer your question, you need to start exploring the free courses available in the Atlassian certification portal.

Jira offers 2 types of admin certifications and learning paths: Jira admin and Jira project admin to choose.

If your choice is Jira admin, please start with Jira admin 1, Jira admin 2 and Jira workflows here

If your choice is Jira project admin, please follow this learning path link 

Wish to see your post with certification. Please Stay safe and stay healthy.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events