Timeline view

Jason Chayer July 26, 2024

Is there a way to drag and drop in the Timeline View? I have not seen an update since 2023, or at least from some of the posts I have read. Below is what I am trying to do.

It shows the Epics, I then create Stories against that Epic. Because I have multiple teams working on a story, I then create tasks and link them to the Story. I do not create subtasks against the Story because our QA team tests each task separately and then write any issues they find against those tasks. 

What I am wanting to do in Timeline is have Epic shown and then the drop down have all other issues. But, I want to be able to group the tasks below the appropriate Story.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2024

Hello @Jason Chayer 

No, that is not possible.

The Timeline view shows issues based on the parent/child Issue Type Hierarchy relationship. It can show Epics with their children nested below them. It cannot show nested issues based on generic issue links, in part because any given issue can be linked to multiple other issues and there is no inherent parent/child distinction in the generic issue links.

@Trudy Claspill  - thanks for the reply, that was my assumption.

I'm assuming you cannot drag and drop in the Timeline View?

Like John Funk likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2024

You can drag and drop both to change the parent of an issue and to change the issue's ranking compared to other issues (assuming the board's filter uses ORDER BY Rank).

Do note that only Epics and their children will display. If you have issues that do not have an Epic as their parent, then will not display in the Timeline.

Thanks @Trudy Claspill . I do see I can drag and drop on the board, but when I am in the timeline view, I am unable to drag and drop.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2024

What is the filter for the board?

What exactly are you trying to drag and where are you trying to drop it?

Can you use a screen recording tool, or a series of screen images, to show us what you're trying to do?

I did notice that it can be a little picky about where you "grab" the issue. If you grab it where the issue key is display, it doesn't seem possible to drag it. I made sure that I grabbed the issue by clicking in the white space to the left of the issue type icon.

Jason Chayer July 29, 2024

@Trudy Claspill - that was it. I simply was not grabbing it in the correct spot. 

Thanks for your help again.

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events