Time tracking with seconds

Jiri Semmler June 21, 2019

Hello,

we are facing following issue - it is impossible to log work with seconds - is there any option how to set it up? I belive I have tried everything

Thank you, Jiri

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2019

The fields do not support tracking in seconds, there's no way to do it with those fields.

I have to ask why you're trying to track in seconds?  There may be some options, but without knowing why you're thinking in seconds, we can't really tell you if there is a good one for you.

(Note that your humans are never going to find seconds useful in time tracking - they can barely cope with minutes...)

Thank you for your response.

I agree that from the users perspective it doesn't make sense, but we want to integrate Toggl plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215495/toggl-integration-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview) and it rounds the time entries to minutes. Regarding the fact, that our developers can have 10 time entries a day and you loose 30s in average on each time entry, then you are loosing 5 min a day, so ~1.5hrs a month. And we are paid by hour, so it can generate some troubles. Hope that the plugin can solve the issue (I am in touch with thier devs)

Jiri

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2019

I'm afraid that's not a good reason to bother with.  Time tracking humans at that level is simply inaccurate, they're never going to record accurately.  A few seconds of overhead on each task should simply be considered "overhead", and frankly, ignored.

It isn't a matter if it is a good idea or not, but when I say "hey guys, there is a tool which synchronizes your time report from system A to system B and at the end of the month the numbers just don't match, it means that there is something wrong.

Jiri

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2019

Ah, ok, that makes sense.  But if Togglr and Jira are both rounding up to minutes, where is there a problem?

Jose Luis Barros Fernandez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 12, 2024

Toggl sums up all the entries (including seconds) and Jira discards the seconds for every entry. Annoying.

EDIT: Toggl Sync configurations have an option to round the seconds correctly, 0:10:10 -> 0:10:00, 0:10:31 -> 0:11:00

Suggest an answer