Time tracking on sub-tasks

HI All

We are stuck in a time tracking issue on jira.

We usually estimate our stories in days and later on the stories are broken down in tens of sub-tasks. Each developers again estimates each of the sub-tasks and logs time on sub-tasks

What it effectively means is that the total estimate gets over-inflated because we are counting the estimate twice (once on parent story and then again on sub-tasks).

Things get even more complicated when you run agile, and due to this the burndown get over-inflated.

What is the possible solution to our problem of double counting of estimates?

Rahul

4 answers

Hi, I'd like to understand how this should work correctly too.

0 votes

Hey Rahul,

There are some requests in https://jira.atlassian.com regarding the estimation in subtasks:

Some of them (last two) have some workarounds suggested in the comments, which might be helpful for your case.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Andre 

Hello, I came to know that this issue persists in all JIRA Instances, can anyone suggest me any workaround that can be followed. Regards, Vasu

Hello,

Any update on this query. Any workaround which we can use for now?

Have the issues been resolved? 

Can anyone please provide more information on this.

Regards, 

Vasu

Hello, I came to know that this issue persists in all JIRA Instances, can anyone suggest me any workaround that can be followed. Regards, Vasu

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,772 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot