Time tracking not correctly rolling up from subtasks

Don Cholish July 12, 2019

Yesterday we started our 1st sprint using Jira. Yay! I quickly noticed today that the time tracked on sub tasks was not rolling up to the Stories. In other words the developer would log work on a subtask which would reduce the remaining estimate, but neither the work logged nor the remaining estimate would update the parent Story's work logged or remaining estimate values. After reading some questions posted here I was not seeing the same thing on my screen as others were. I then noticed a link on top of the issue to use the "old view". After switching to this I got a lot more information about time spent and saw the checkbox for "include subtasks" which wasn't available in the new view. I also noticed there was an "Original Estimate" field which I never filled out. After updating the original estimate in all the subtasks, both the original estimate and work logged values were then totaled up and displayed in the parent Story. This was a relief. The problem now is the work remaining in the parent story is using some arbitrary value and does not reflect the total of the subtasks. It is more than double what it should be. I have found no way to reset it. Finally to my 2 questions: 1. How can I get this time tracking view in the new issue view. I'd rather not have to always switch back to the old view and tell others to as well. 2. How can I get the work remaining in the parent story to reflect the total of all the subtasks without manually changing it? Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2019

The new view does not include this yet.

The old view has a simple toggle which should be working (if it's not, could you explain what you are seeing?), and hopefully will be added to the new view soon.

Don Cholish July 15, 2019

Thank you Nic for your reply.  I find it pretty disturbing that Atlassian thought it was a good idea to make the default view one that isn't fully working and leave it up to people to figure out they have to switch to and older view to get full and working functionality.  Usually in these cases you would default to the old view and have a message on top of the screen asking people if they want to preview the new, incomplete view.  I digress though...

OK, it sounds like I have to tell my team to use the old view.  The problem I have is even the old view is not showing the "Remaining" time tracking correctly.  It is showing the "estimated" and the "Logged" time tracking correctly in that it adds up the values of all the subtasks.  What is showing in the "Remaining" is not the correct total for all the subtasks.  I tried to blank out the Remianing in my story, but it won't let me save.   I tried to set it to 0m which works but no updates to subtasks trigger any change to the story.  I tried manually adding the the time remaining to all the subtasks and putting that value in the story, but it never changes when subtasks are updated.  How do I get the story to show the correct remaining time?  Thank you.

Like Kia Duran likes this
Don Cholish July 15, 2019

Hmmm, i just spot checked a few and it seems to be ok now.  Is there some kind of bulk update job that runs every night or over the weekend?

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2019

I sincerely hope Atlassian fixes this before forcing us all onto the new view. The time roll-up is very important for my team. We use it for billing. 

Simon Hedberg January 7, 2020

Any news if this is fixed?

Suggest an answer