Time tracking Project Managers

Andrew Collins March 11, 2021

Dear community,

I am new to Jira and just starting working for a company that use Jira for development issue tracking. Now all the developer have their time logged with each issue. Only we are project managers track our time in Toggl. Would it be not possible for the project managers to also have their time logged in Jira. 

Questions:

1. Is this possible?

2. As we have Project Managers who need to log their time for each project, and some work full time on 1 project but need to log them also for the project. 

Looking forward in your feedback.

Thanks,

Andrew 

2 answers

1 vote
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2021
Andrew Collins March 11, 2021

Hi Rob,

Thanks, I will look into this. 

Like Rob Horan likes this
0 votes
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
April 30, 2021

Just create a time logging task - doesnt have to do anything but act as a place for the assignee to track time. You could even create a custom issue type to make it clear what its purpose is.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2021

The problem with this approach is it adds another issue.  This is one thing I've noticed about so much of the Agile methodology - so many excess issues flying around. 

So lets say you're working on one issue - now you need two to deal with.  One for the work and one for the time, and unless someone set up automation now you have to close both.

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
April 30, 2021

I was assuming the PMs were not working directly on tasks, and that any work done directly on specific project tasks would be logged to that task. I prefer having all my info in one spot, so Id create a task for "misc" activities like this. I do pretty well all my project management through filters and JQL, so I can make it work for me. And I do use this approach for both agile and non-agile projects.

You can create different boards & dashboards to reduce the clutter and focus the views into the project if there are too many tasks.

Suggest an answer