Time Tracking showing different Times for Work Logged and RTE Change

Dean Margerison November 2, 2020

Hi We are using Jira Cloud and have turned on Remaining Estimate and Time Spent to use for the burndown report.

When someone uses time tracking to log time And reduce the RTE, the RTE entry is logged at the correct time But the Work logged has a time in the past (which matches the work logged).

In the attached screenshot you can see 

1) EDWTSW-103 has 1d 10 min work logged (8hr 10 min)

The RTE Change is at  9:32 am but the Work logged is at 1:22 am  (8hr 10min earlier)

2) EDWTSW-83 4hr work logged 

The RTE Change is at  9:39 am but the Work logged is at 5:39 am  (4hr earlier)

I was expecting the Audit times for both events which were performed at the same time to be the same?

Jira work logged and RTE showing different times.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2020

Hi @Dean Margerison, when you log time on an issue, you can inform the date started, which can be in the past. In this case, your burndown chart will create an entry of the event type Work logged, and the event detail will describe the number of hours logged. Thus, the date in the burndown chart will be the same as the "date started" informed when you logged your time. This way, you have the flexibility to report your time in the past, which can fit in the sprint period.

The second entry you see on the burndown chart is the updated RTE, RTE change event, as a result of the updated time logged. In this case, the date is the actual date when time logged took place. The event detail shows the updated numbers for the RTE.

I hope that helps.
IL.

Dean Margerison November 4, 2020

Are you saying that you infer the event time of the work by the current time - time logged? 

If so it might be a good idea in an edge case when a sprint has just ended but you still want to book time worked in that sprint.

But

For the vast majority of cases I believe in a burndown report if you see Time logged going up it would be better to reflect the reduction in RTE at the same point in time. Otherwise it gets difficult to understand what is going on.

Also If someone doesn't book time every day you could have the scenario where the Time Logged increase and RTE decrease are days apart

I would also argue that its wrong to assume that if I log 4 hours of work the start time of the that work is 4 hours ago. I'm assuming nobody is saying that you have to log the time immediately you have done the work.

Is there a way to ensure that both Time logged and the RTE reduction recorded at the same time?

Regards

Dean

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events