Time Tracking - How to automate ?

JiraLearner October 28, 2024

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible to automate time tracking with JIRA without using a 3rd party tool ?

I know if you enable time tracking system field, then user has an option to LOG Work. But i am trying to create a report where it will show original estimate ( Manual input), with the actual time Spent (Maybe based on ticket status ? or start / end date)

Make fields Mandatory ? Any 3rd party tool that is free and able to calculate the information ?

We are using JIRA PLANS and Structure by Tempo on reporting

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Doreen Undiri October 28, 2024

Hi @JiraLearner 

I believe you can automate some aspects of time tracking in Jira without using a 3rd-party tool, though it’s somewhat limited.

If you enable the Time Tracking system field, users can log work and enter the Original Estimate manually.

For tracking actual time spent, you can set up automation rules to capture timestamps when an issue moves between statuses (like In Progress and Done) using fields for start and end dates; although, this won’t fully replace detailed time logging.

Making time tracking fields mandatory isn’t natively supported, but you can enforce some requirements using workflow validators.

I hope this was helpful 

Dd

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events