Ticket analysis / monitoring tool?

Yousaf May 23, 2017

Hello dear community,

I´m new here and have been working with jira for a few weeks now.

At the moment i´m working on a project to gather as much information about tickets as possible. All factors like the amount of comments per ticket or how many people were involved while working on the ticket or how long it took to solve the problem have to be found out.

Is there any way to do that quickly? I found out about two tools called "new relic" and "datameer". But these cost and I was actually looking for a free way around ;-)

Can jql possibly help here?

Thank you for any help :-)

5 answers

0 votes
Al December 18, 2019

It seems to me that the Bubble Chart Gadget goes a long way to addressing what you're looking to achieve. 

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMHmKV2qeeU&t=15s

Al December 18, 2019

This requires that you construct appropriate JQL and save as a filter, but as some of the comments above say, that ability comes out of the box.

By selecting the filter then setting the gadget with participants, for example, you will get a visual of your issues by time, #comments, activity, and #participants. Set logarithmic for close packed results.

This allows you to highlight activity levels, recently commented, or forgotten issues.

Each bubble can be clicked to drill in or view.

0 votes
Yousaf May 30, 2017

Hi Nic,

that´s exactly my problem..

I don´t know how to add/create the new field and how to re-index it.

Would be great if you could explain it to me

0 votes
Yousaf May 29, 2017

Hi all,

it seems to be pretty difficult to find out the stuff i´m looking for :/ 

I installed the JIRA Toolkit plugin but for whatever reason the comment count field does not appear in the search results. I looked for any boxes to check or activate but didn´t find anything.

I tried this search:

project = "myProject" AND created >= 2015-06-01 AND created < 2017-05-01 ORDER BY "Comments count"

An error occurs that says "Field Comments count" is not possible, so I tried it with comment, comments and count.. but nothing worked.

Hoping for some helpful tips from you guys, thanks ;-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

Have you added the field?  The add-on just creates a field type, not a field.  After creating the field, you also need to re-index before it will become useful.

Yousaf May 30, 2017

Hi Nic,

that´s exactly my problem..

I don´t know how to add/create the new field and how to re-index it.

Would be great if you could explain it to me

0 votes
Eva Kasiak May 23, 2017

Hi Yousaf,

I am puzzled and unclear from the description on what is that you are really trying to accomplish. 

If you want to track all activity inside a ticket - then you have it as out of thebox functionality existing in JIRA - you can see there how many comments were made, who commented, how is watching the issue

If you want to generate some reporting based on your team activity - i.e. check the ticket "popularity" you can use some advanced JQL's to query that.

To find out tickets where there is more than 50 watchers (or votes) you can use this query:

project = "ABC" AND votes >= 50 AND issuetype = Suggestion

you can then start narrowing down by adding other objects like issue type etc. to get more narrow results

to find out tickets which does not have empty comments

project = "Atlassian Cloud" AND Comments is not EMPTY

or to find out more than x number of comments in the project (or in the task or done by user) start from this JQL

project = "Atlassian Cloud" AND Comments <= 2

here is more to read about JIRA JQL https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/advanced-searching-764478330.html

you can also search for the specific add on's on the marketplace which provide more advances JQL's functions not available inside of standard JIRA

Yousaf May 24, 2017

Hi Support,

first off: thanks for the help, I really appriciate it ;-)

Well this is basically what I want to achive:

- track the average time of how long a ticket/issue took to be resolved

- how many people were involved while fixing the issue (not customers, only support workers in the company)

- how many comments were written throughout the entire issue/ticket

I want to make an archive of all the tickets / issues over a longer period of time, e.g 3 years +/- 1, 2 years...

Just an example of how this should look like:

- I have 10 Projects running at the moment and all together have 100 issues, this means 10 issues per project in average

- 200 comments were written in 100 issues, means 2 comments per issue

- for 100 issues/tickets it took 100 hours time to resolve them, means 1 h per issue

And then all of this information should be gathered and analysed.

There, a lot to read but maybe and hopefully I could give a good example of what i´m looking for.

Thank you ;-)

0 votes
Yousaf May 23, 2017

Any ideas? ;-)

I found out some jql commands like:

"Time to resolution" = paused()

"Time to first response" < elapsed("10m")

but these don´t really help and are not really what i´m looking for.

Looking forward for some useful tips from you guys ;-)

Suggest an answer