Three Tier Hierarchy (Epics-> Features-> user stories) in JIRA

Bunty Parekh July 1, 2021

Hello Everyone, 

One of the challenges working on JIRA is the lack of a three tier hierarchy ( EPICS -> Features -> User story) and hence reaching out to this group for further help. 

My project is in need of 1-many relationship at each level ( one epic – multiple features, one feature – multiple stories) for effective release and backlog planning.  As on today, JIRA supports a two tier hierarchy ( Epics -> features and Epic -> user stories) and that is not helping us break up business capabilities (From Roadmap) to Epics -> features -> user stories.  

Can someone in this group please let me know if there are any solutions for this requirement. 

Thanks,

Bunty Parekh

1 answer

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 17, 2021

Hi @Bunty Parekh 

Many people use Advanced Roadmaps to create issue types above Epics which helps them break down their work further.

We create a plugin called Agile Docs which lets you create levels of hierarchy both above and below Epics.

So you'll be able to configure an Epic -> Feature -> Story hierarchy in Agile Docs.

agile-docs-custom-hierarchy.png

I recommend you add your Features to Epics using the "Epic Link" field and Stories to Features using the Agile Docs parent-child link to retain access to Jira's built-in Epic reports.

Best Regards,

Rhys

Suggest an answer