This project isn't available

mike matthews April 21, 2015

I recently signed up for Confluence and added a JIRA trial period. I'm trying to create a JIRA project and continue to get this message after set up:

This project isn't available

It may have been deleted or your permissions may have changed.

The next button is to view available projects at which point i get this error message:

You do not have the permissions required to browse any projects.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2015

Check the default permission scheme - it sounds like it doesn't include your account in "browse issues" permission for some reason.

I haven't touched the default and it looks like adminstrators should be able to administrate and all project users should be able to browse projects. I tried to add a single user, myself, to 'Browse Projects' but there are no users defined in the dropdown. I think that might be a problem.

Like Marko Hielscher likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2015

Ok, being able to edit/delete projects, but not see them in the projects drop-down is a classic symptom of an an admin who hasn't got browse in the project. Adding yourself explicitly to the permission scheme is a good test (I assume as an admin, you checked that the project is definitely using the default permission scheme?), and if it's not listing users, then yes, it sounds like you could have an issue with users somewhere. Although, could you try adding the "jira admins" group you are in into the permissions as well?

Like # people like this
mike matthews April 22, 2015

OK, jira-users doesn't exist/have users in it which I kind of assume is a group that gets populated every time a new users access the system. This might be the root of the problem. Global Permissions > JIRA Permissions > JIRA Users [jira-users group is assigned] > View Users [under jira-users] > Error: Group <jira-users> does not exist So I created the group and added the users to it and it looks like it's working. I also tried posting this yesterday but could not due to the post limitations if I don't have 25 points. Not crazy about that idea. Thanks for your help in resolving this issue, Nic!

0 votes

Another interesting tidbit is that I can see the projects that I created in the Settings - JIRA Admin - Projects and since I'm the admin I can edit/delete them. However simply clicking on the Projects drop down on the JIRA toolbar, I'm not able to see the projects.

Suggest an answer