This MySQL instance is not properly configured

John Parker September 11, 2019

I am installing Jira Service Desk for the first time.I have installed MySQL 5.7.  No issues with MySQL with the defualt my.ini file.  However, with the default my.ini file, I get the error "This MySQL instance is not properly configured. Please follow the documentation for MySQL 5.7+ setup."

So I followed *all* of the instructions here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html

As soon as I edit the my.ini file with the Jira reccomendations then the MySQL service will no longer start.  No errrors, just times out without starting.  I have tried this on 2 different servers.    As soon as I put the defualt my.ini back then MySQL starts again. Any ideas?

This is on Windows 2016 with 32GB RAM.

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2019

Hi John,

Sorry to hear there have been configuration problems with using MySQL with Jira.  I believe that our documentation on this is current and up to date to the best of my knowledge.  However I am interested to see how we can learn more to help here and if need be we can certainly update the instructions in that document too.

Would it be possible or us to take a closer look at your $JIRAINSTALL/log/catalina.out from the time when you see this error of "This MySQL instance is not properly configured..."?  This log file will contain startup and other details about Jira loading and attempting to connect your database.  With this information perhaps we can learn more about your environment here to try to help.  

Unfortunately, our community site does not permit direct attachments for non-images.  If you could upload this log to some service like google drive or dropbox and then share a link with us here, I would be happy to take a closer look to see what we can learn about the details of this error.

Cheers,

Andy

Suggest an answer