The @user funciton is not working consistenly when adding Issue Comments...

Darren Eilers July 22, 2014

Hi all. This is a 2-part issue...

We like using the @userfeature when adding a comment to an Issue so that it notifies (I think) the user in question when a comment is directed to them.

My first question is... Why is this only working when I use the @userfeature when leaving a comment, and not when other developers or administrators leave comments?

Second question... When using the @userfeature in comments, does it email that user that they have a comment under the particular Issue?

2 answers

1 vote
Darren Eilers October 29, 2014

At long last, after many hours of searching (literally), I finally found the one setting that makes this work. It is not easy to find unless you actually know specifically what to look for, how to find it, and what makes it work. 

• Once logged in, click the menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the upper left of the navbar at the top of the screen, and choose "Configure...". 
  • On the page that follows, make sure you're under the "System" tab and choose "Global Permissions" under he "Security" section. 
  • The page that follows is where the "Browse Users" settings are located (this is the section I simply could not find, despite the help documentation). Under the "Browse Users" section, click the "View Users" link at the far right. 
  • On the page that follows click "Add" and add the users you wish to have the ability to use this feature. Once they are added, all should be fine smile

Hopefully this saves a bunch of time for someone else.

0 votes
vkharisma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2014

# Users need to have the browse user pemission to be able to use the mention feature, see this KB article https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Mentions+are+Not+Working+in+JIRA

# Basically, the user mention will send notification for the mentioned user and the users entitled for issue commented event in the notification scheme. The easiest way to understand this is to run the notification helper, it will give you the explanation why the user receive or not receive the notification in specific event.

Darren Eilers August 8, 2014

Thanks Vicky, but I think we're talking about two different things. I'm referring to the feature when actually leaving a comment, that allows you to directly inject another user (admin, dev or otherwise) into the content of the comment. For example, if this were a comment I was leaving to a JIRA issue, and I wanted to address something within my comment to you specifically, I would type, "@vicky kharisma", which would allow me to insert a link directly to you within the comment. This only seems to work with me and one of my developers. For everyone else it doesn't work.

As a second part to this, what exactly does that featuer do? Does it email the user, or simply apply a link to the user's profile in JIRA?

Deleted user August 8, 2014

Darren,

The link that Vicky supplied is exactly what you are are looking for. The browser permission needs to be enabled in the project for the user you are trying to mention (only applicable to the comment and description) field. It notifies the user that they are were mentioned in the action and if configured will add them as a watcher to the item (default configuration if I recall correctly).

Darren Eilers October 1, 2014

@Daren Smith Sorry for the delayed reply. I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. It simply does not work! I even went as far as to assign all of the team members as Admin level users and it still does not work. It seems to only work 100% of the time if the user is either the Story/Issue creator or the assignee. If a user is simply a Watcher they do not have the ability to use the @user feature. If you're confident this is indeed possible, and ALL users (regardless of their user level or whether they're the creator, assignee, or watcher) should be able to use this feature, I'd appreciate some direction on where I need to be looking within the Project setting to enable this feature. Screenshots would be very helpful as well. I'm getting very frustrated but this.

Suggest an answer