The "board" in the project is missing, can't select Kanban or backlog

Carlos Massiah December 7, 2022

I have created a company managed product copying the settings from another one, but it is missing the board.
Under the "Board V" (That's a down arrow not a V) I see Reports and Issues, I'm expecting to see Roadmap, Backlog and Active Sprints.
After searching for this issue, some guides say to "enable backlog" in the project settings. In the project settings when you go to the "Enable/Disable" toggle for backlog it says "Enable backlog in the board settings".
However I don't appear to have any board settings. I can't select the board, it opens a search into other projects.

The original project I copied from has boards set up fine.

How do I get back the boards in this project? There's seems to be a setting that is set wrong somewhere....

Edit:
This is reporducible by creating a new blank Kanban project company managed, then creating a new project copying the settings from the first project you created. The second one is missing a board.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2022

This is expected when you create a new project that share settings with existing projects. What you have do to do is in the new project click on the dropdown arrow to the right of boards and select Create board at the bottom and then follow the guide.

Carlos Massiah December 7, 2022

Ok, thanks. I've not seen this before. It did fix the issue. Marked as accepted.

Although now I have added the board, I see that the settings haven't been copied from the other project. I was expecting that I wouldn't have to go through the process of setting up the issues & columns again.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2022

The only connection a board has to the project is that it lives under it, and that is why boards are not created in a new project if it is created using shared settings. 

If you do not want to recreate all the settings you can copy the existing board by going to View all from the board dropdown:

Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 2.48.15 PM.png

From here you can copy the board, the only thing you need to do after the copy has been created is to change the location to the new project, and change the filter used by the new board.

Carlos Massiah December 8, 2022

Ah thanks.

Looks like what I want is "copy board" not "copy project". It's the board / issue settings that are relevant.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer