The "Hide done" filter on an Epic's "Issues in this epic" section doesn't work

Derek Quessenberry November 10, 2020

I see a nice feature to select hide issues marked as "Done" in the "Issues in this epic" section of Epics. We have several issues and many of them are marked as done, yet they do not hide when the "Hide done" filter is selected from the "Issues in this epic" menu. It does appear to hide "Closed" issues however. Also the progress bar of the "Issues in this epic" is incorrectly reporting the percentage of done issues. For example one Epic has 33 issues, 14 are marked as Done, 4 are marked as Closed, and the remainder are either In Progress or Backlog. When I hover over the green section of the progress bar, it says only 4 of 33 are done (looks to only be counting the Closed issues) and when I hover over the blue section of the progress bar it say that 29 of 33 are In Progress. 

Perhaps I am just confused, but it seems only "Closed" issues are considered done, but "Done" issues are not considered done? It doesn't really makes sense IMO. Why not just rename the "Hide done" filter to "Hide closed", or better yet, why not just hide the Closed and Done ticket with your select the "Hide done" filter? Also, as mentioned from other questions on this forum, having this "Hide done" filter selected my default would also be very helpful, or at the very least, persisting this filter state would be nice. 

Example of "Hide done" but issues marked as "DONE" are still displayed:
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.26.37 PM.png

Example of hovering over the green section of the "Issues in this epic" progress reports only 4 of 33 issues are done. Also note the "12% Done" is also not calculated correctly:

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.27.56 PM.png

Example of hovering over the blue section of the "Issues in this epic" progress reports 27 of 33 issues are In Progress:

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.28.07 PM.png

1 answer

2 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2020

Hi @Derek Quessenberry,

I am pretty sure this is because your "Done" issues don't have the resolution field filled out. Jira makes the distinction between Open and Done issues not from the issue status, but by the resolution field being filled out.

In order to fix that, you should make sure that every issue that moves through your workflow to a Done status gets this resolution set.

This article - although based on the server platform - explains how you should fix this and gives a bit more context.

Another tip: from your screenshots, I can see that your Done status also has the In progress status category instead of Done. I know because they are having a blue color lozenge. It may be a good idea to update this to Done. It will make it much clearer visually that they are really Done.

To do so, go to Settings -> Issues -> Statuses, locate the Done status in the  list, click edit and update the Category to done.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events