The filter <filter name> could not be saved.

Tim March 2, 2020

A few months ago I created a filter which is basicly a filter to group multiple projects in 1 board.

project in (IC, DWV, LOC, DSN, LV, BR, INP, MAP) ORDER BY Rank ASC

All the projects where created with my account so I am (I assume) owner of all these projects.

The filter works as desired.

Now, I want to edit this filter but when I make a change (big or small) it says that "The filter could not be saved". 

That's it. No more info. I have no clue.

I made my user administrator on all projects, just to be sure.

Anyone has an idea?

3 answers

0 votes
gokcen_eryilmaz December 7, 2021

Hey all,

I have experienced the same issue a couple of times and here is my workaround:

* Remove the permissions from your filter

* Edit your JQL query

* Save the changes

* Give the previous permissions again

I hate to see this error again and again but at least this workaround works every time.

0 votes
Greg Williams November 30, 2021

I have a user getting this error, and when I simulate her login, I am getting the same error, but what I ended up doing was I created a new filter query using "Save As" and then having the board that was using the filter look at that new filter query instead of trying to save the current one.

1. Change your JQL in the filter query
  2. Click "Save As" and give the updated filter a new name like "<filter name> v2.0"
  3. Pull up the board using old filter and in top right click the ellipses and go to "Board settings"
  4. Under "General" locate "Saved Filter" and click the pencil icon.
    filter query1.png
  5. Type the name of the new filter and select it when it appears. It will save automatically.
  6. Go back to the board and refresh.

I still don't know why it wouldn't allow my user to edit her original query and save it, but this is the workaround since a filter needs a board.

UPDATE: Well I tried the above and at first I THOUGHT it worked but then the owner came back to me a bit later and said she couldn't see the board! So I had to change it back to the original query.

I sent in a ticket to Atlassian support and they located the problem, A user group that was shared out by the ORIGINAL owner of the board, the new owner was not a member of. As a result, since she was not a member of that user group (administrators-confluence) she was not able to save the new query.filter shares.png

I simulated her login (as sysadmin) and removed the Group share and saved then re-did the filter query, and it now allows me to save.

0 votes
Tim March 3, 2020

Has to do with permissions. The permission system in Jira is way to complex and messy. Made myself site admin so I can do "everything" because it is impossible to find which right affects what in Jira.

Very messy and hard to maintain.

Deleted user March 3, 2020

I want to say that you would need a Global Permission for "Share dashboards and filters" in order to accomplish this (site admin has this permission by default).

Tim March 5, 2020

Thanks, not sure if this was the cause because we tried a lot of rights.

Also, in the past I was able to change the filter with my old permission set. Suddenly this stopped working. 

Like Deleted user likes this
rcdpanjaitan November 25, 2020

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem at the moment, is there any hint how to solve this? because the permission is still the same though

Josh Boettcher February 15, 2021

Suggest an answer