The error "java.lang.NullPointerException" appear when I import XML into Jira 3.10.2

Andrew Wang October 11, 2013

Group A use Jira 3.10.2 ,the language is Chinese Traditional,the database use PostgreSql 8.2

I export xml from Jira 3.10.2, named xz.xml

Then I build a Testing environment , I install Jira 3.10.2 ,the language is English ,the database use PostgreSql 8.2. I import xz.xml into Jira 3.10.2 of the Testing environment.

Before I import xml to jira 3.10.2 of the Testing environment,I don't create any project

AfterI import xml to jira 3.10.2 of the Testing environment, there is not any project to be created.

1. The error is :

System Error

A system error has occurred.

If this problem persists - please notify your JIRA administrator of this problem.

If you are an administrator, please try submitting this problem via the Support Request Page

Else, please create a support issue on our support system at http://support.atlassian.com with the following information:

a description of your problem

cut & paste the error and system information found below

attach the application server log file ( C:\WINDOWS\system32\atlassian-jira.log )

Cause:

java.lang.NullPointerException

2. The page of "Restore Data from xml" also show :

Errors
Error importing data: org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Issue][summary,EC??---------ECR Creator submit ECR????Leader?????????????"Function Leader review ECR"??,????"Function Leader review ECR"????????,??Reject?????????????????][status,5][votes,0][assignee,f3201228][resolution,3][type,1][id,10436][reporter,f2731697][project,10021][created,2007-12-15 14:43:28.671][updated,2007-12-15 15:56:04.656][workflowId,10436][priority,2][duedate,2007-12-15 00:00:00.0][key,WFCISG-237] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO public.jiraissue (ID, pkey, PROJECT, REPORTER, ASSIGNEE, issuetype, SUMMARY, DESCRIPTION, ENVIRONMENT, PRIORITY, RESOLUTION, issuestatus, CREATED, UPDATED, DUEDATE, VOTES, TIMEORIGINALESTIMATE, TIMEESTIMATE, TIMESPENT, WORKFLOW_ID, SECURITY, FIXFOR, COMPONENT) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (ERROR: value too long for type character varying(255)))

(The ? in error 2 is Chinese character)

What's the problem cause this situation? How could I solve this problem?

1 answer

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2013

Hi Andrew,

In order to no have any problem with non-latin characters, make sure that your application is configured to use UTF-8 as in this page and your database is configured according this documentation.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer